Is This Shower Trap OK?

Users who are viewing this thread

sgiorgianni

Reaction score
My contractor is trying to figure out how to best run a shower trap. This is what he came up with, he said it should be good. It’s a rough spot to work, the shower is in an overhang and where you see insulation only has that and plywood separating it from the elements and can experience some cold temperatures, so he tried to keep the trap as “inside the house” as possible. He also considered the venting; there is a vent on the main stack immediately downstream (you can see it to the right) And there is another vent about a foot before this connection. Main pipe is 3 inches, the shower drain is 2.
I don’t know much about plumbing but it looks good to me...? I’m just a bit concerned because it would be a huge if not impossible project to correct later if the trap gets siphoned and wanted a second opinion.

Attachments

• wrong-shower-3.jpg
    wrong-shower-3.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 189

sgiorgianni

Reaction score
The vertical pipe in the background is a vent from the old trap. The trap was cut/capped off and the vent is still open to the 3” main line.

We also discussed that 90 wrong elbow, he said it was the only way to make it work with the limited space.

To the back of the picture on the other side of that vertical pipe is a wall and finished space (untouched, would cost allot more to rip up beyond the wall). Anyone have any better ideas on how to make this area work?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
santee on back not good. vent 90 for waste s trap id have him re do.

Looks like contractors got it figured out he glued it all up ! . spend your money get a plumbing contractor theres even more wrong , he might be doing his best but that aint good enough. best way to handle it is your decision

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
damn i think that santee is backward unless thats a trap arm below and he is picking up a shower and a tub? What a cluster bomb ! You know what hook it all up and water will drain . But its sort of a personal integrety thing eventualy this is going to be passed on to somebody else and thell be getting screwed, certain deviation from code is one thing but total disregard is shameful . you just might need to have your contractor patch a drywall hole to do it just alittle bit more right!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Things we see wrong.

Santee on its back
Santee the wrong direction?
S trap without a vent
Wrong 90 for drain
Unshielded coupling on PVC

sgiorgianni

Reaction score
Things we see wrong.

Santee on its back
Santee the wrong direction?
S trap without a vent
Wrong 90 for drain
Unshielded coupling on PVC
Water flows to the right so that’s ok, does the coupling have to be shielded above ground? We are on the second floor, the overhang is at the back of the house above the first floor.

We will chat with the contractor Monday, see if he can redo it. Any suggestions I can give him on how to run the plumbing? Maybe he comes further out towards the bottom of the picture, puts in a t for a vent, and makes a 180 to go back to and to drop into the main?

sgiorgianni

Reaction score
Would this be better? Leave the trap where it is, put in a vent connection after, and 180* back over to drop to the main. As long as the vent is in before it drops to the main that makes it a safe P-trap, correct?

Attachments

• IMG_6260.jpg
    IMG_6260.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 170

Bannerman

Reaction score
I suspect there may be a toilet that is also connected to the 3" horizontal pipe, perhaps located close to or behind the camera location?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Shielded couplings for above ground, yes.
All plumbers know that. Handymen don't.
It prevents the rubber from sagging over time, and I have pulled out some horrible messes. Is that what you want?

mission_bandseal.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
Would this be better? Leave the trap where it is, put in a vent connection after, and 180* back over to drop to the main. As long as the vent is in before it drops to the main that makes it a safe P-trap, correct?
No. IPC, like UPC, forbids "crown vents". IPC 2009 906.3 Crown Vent. A vent shall not be installed within two pipe diameters of the trap weir.

23164-e9fe3c62827b53b692472ce1f8635fe6.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks