Is this repair flange the best choice for PVC clost flange?

Users who are viewing this thread

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
I discovered the PVC toilet closet flange is cracked at the mounting bolt slot, as shown in the picture below.

Is this (in the link) SS repair flange the best choice? Ideally I would like something it would fit "over" the PVC flange completely covering the outside egde too, rather than just the flat style repair flanges that sits on top of the old PVC flange.
However the ring in the link below looks too narrow for my PVC flange. Maybe the flat "C shape" style is all that will work.

https://www.ferguson.com/product/pr...ge-repair-ring-pfrr/_/R-4477476?skuId=4477476

QueryJ200SCTC.jpg

This picture is not an actual picture from my home, but it is the same type I have.
toiletFlange.jpg

I put some "epoxy" in the crack - not sure if it will work or not. I reassembled everything for now. But I don't mind pulling the toilet again to install a repair ring - if I can find a high quality repair ring that will work.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
FWIW, if you caulk the toilet to the floor after setting it, it probably won't matter much if you don't fix the flange unless the crack goes through to the inside. What you're seeing is one reason why most good plumbers will not install an all-plastic flange...they do frequently crack. IF you could clean it up well, PVC cement would have likely worked better than epoxy...PVC cement literally melts the plastic, fusing the parts together once the solvent evaporates...epoxy just tries to glue the pieces together, which while maybe harder, isn't as strong as the material itself when fused.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
My sympathies to the folks in Orlando. You're having more than your share of troubles down there.

On the plastic flange that you posted, I've been using a slightly doctored fender washer to fix the broken flange. Works real well on a wood subfloor if the hole isn't cut out too large. It'll do on a slab, with a little more work.

I take a fender washer and clamp it in my vise, maybe a quarter inch, then pound it down flat with a 32 oz hammer, making a lip on one side of the washer.

When making a repair on a broken or bent-up plastic slot on a toilet flange, put a pair of washers on either side of the toilet bolt and screw them down into the subfloor, at a slight angle if necessary. Use Tapcons on a slab.

The bent-over part of the washer holds the outside part of the slotted flange in place, and the flat part holds everything down to the floor under much torque. It ain't coming up if the screws have a good grab. It's cheap as hell, also.

red_ring_repair_1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks