Is this proper toilet flange height?

Users who are viewing this thread

Wolf911

Reaction score
Would this be the right way to install a toilet flange . I put the piece of plywood under it to raise it to the height of the vinyl flooring. I would cut the flooring around the flange so the flooring wouldn't be pinned under the flange. I haven't glued it yet so want to make sure it was right. I asked a contractor and he said it's to high but all the internet stuff says flange should go on top of finished floor. So some wisdom would be welcome. Thanks.

index.php

Attachments

• 20220216_133757.jpg
    20220216_133757.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 1,156

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The flange works best when placed on top of the finished flooring.
It can be lower too, that's why the deep wax rings are made, and some installs use two rings stacked.

With the flange on the finished flooring, it's just a single wax ring install.

There is space under the bowl for the flange and wax.

caroma_305_horn.jpg

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Your idea to not pin your floating floor is understandable. But the toilet itself is going to pin the flooring anyway.

My thinking is to make sure that the spacing around the edges is distributed such that being pinned only at the toilet is acceptable. If the floating floor only is for the bathroom, that should be fine.

If you really wanted the floor to not be pinned, one way would be to use a wall-mounted toilet. Too late for that. Another way would be to have the flooring have a gap around the toilet base, and to fit some trim to cover the gap. Sounds hard, and probably hard to fit the trim around the toilet base curves.

I am not a pro. I wonder what a flooring pro would do in this situation.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks