Is this possible?

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by KaraBoo, May 11, 2009.

  1. KaraBoo

    KaraBoo New Member

    May 11, 2009
    I'm looking for some suggestions and advice here. I'm turning the upper level of my house into an in-law suite. The house will continue to have a single electric meter. Is there any possible way to track how much electric is being used per month in that zone of the house though? I'm trying to come up with a way to fairly change for the electric they use without paying their extra every month. Is there any way to do this?

    Thank you very much! :)
  2. Billy_Bob

    Billy_Bob In the Trades

    Apr 2, 2008
    Probably the easiest thing would be to charge them by however much *more* your electric bill is than it would normally be.

    If you could monitor this over a period of several months and come up with a percentage, then that would keep things fair in the future when you had any electric rate increases.

    Otherwise you would need to route all the wiring through some sort of electric meter and total this up monthly.

    AND... There is nothing so complex as an electric bill! There are base amount rates which are lower, then the rate goes up after a certain amount of use, then an allowance for lower rates for an electric water heater in some cases - up to a certain amount, then transmission charges, taxes which could be a percentage or a set fee per customer, or the taxes could be tiered depending on how much electricity is used, etc.

    So if you use a small amount of electricity, the rate per kWh will be cheaper than what you will be charged for beyond that basic amount.

    Here is an example...
    Last edited: May 11, 2009
  3. Sponsor

    Sponsor Paid Advertisement

  4. Alectrician

    Alectrician DIY Senior Member

    Jun 15, 2007
    Not unless it is wired seperately from the rest of the house including HVAC and hot water.

    Do a square footage thing or number of residents.
  5. hj

    hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

    Aug 31, 2004
    Cave Creek, Arizona

    IF that area of the house can be isolated, AND your utility does not have prohibitions against "reselling" electricity, you could install your own meter, in a remote location away from the power company's, and calculate it each month. It would probably not be economically feasible however, and a set amount might be easier. If you like the In-laws set it low, if not charge more.
Similar Threads: possible
Forum Title Date
Electrical Forum discussion & Blog One switch, two circuits. Possible? Dec 14, 2016
Electrical Forum discussion & Blog How to add neutral wire for MLV dimmer when none present? Impossible? Oct 30, 2016
Electrical Forum discussion & Blog Is it possible for an amateur to rewire a whole house? Jul 12, 2016
Electrical Forum discussion & Blog Possible short in wiring Jul 15, 2015
Electrical Forum discussion & Blog Possible "broken breaker" miswiring kitchen splits Sep 29, 2011

Share This Page