Is this plumbing plan to code?

Users who are viewing this thread

Anna Luttrell

Reaction score
Does anyone know if this plumbing plan is code? Can I tie in the shower drain plumbing into the existing sink drain plumbing with these fittings or do I have to take the shower plumbing directly to the main pipe? I would tie it into the main stack but I'm running out of room because this is the main stack going into the ground.

Old wood top.jpg

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
I can't quite see what's happening at the bottom of the picture. And what's going on with that fitting near the yellow rectangle? As well as the fitting just upstream of the proposed new combo?

The short answer is that it depends on exactly what fixtures are draining through that proposed new combo in addition to the shower. It looks like there could be up to 4 (horizontally from the bottom of the picture, the vertical pipe, and the two tee fittings I asked about). If all of those fixtures are bathroom fixtures, it should be OK to connect with a combo like you show. But the pipe sizing depends on the fixture types and count, and on what the 2" drain does downstream of the proposed combo.

Cheers, Wayne

Anna Luttrell

Reaction score
The shower will be less than 5 ft from the main vent. There are 2 bathroom sinks (one sink upstairs), the kitchen sink and what will be the shower running through this drain. One of those tee fittings is the old shower drain that will be removed. All the pipes are 2inch and the shower would be the closest drain to the main drain.

Anna Luttrell

Reaction score
I can't quite see what's happening at the bottom of the picture. And what's going on with that fitting near the yellow rectangle? As well as the fitting just upstream of the proposed new combo?

The short answer is that it depends on exactly what fixtures are draining through that proposed new combo in addition to the shower. It looks like there could be up to 4 (horizontally from the bottom of the picture, the vertical pipe, and the two tee fittings I asked about). If all of those fixtures are bathroom fixtures, it should be OK to connect with a combo like you show. But the pipe sizing depends on the fixture types and count, and on what the 2" drain does downstream of the proposed combo.

Cheers, Wayne
There are 2 bathroom sinks (one sink upstairs), the kitchen sink and what will be the shower running through this drain. One of those tee fittings is the old shower drain that will be removed. All the pipes are 2inch and the shower would be the closest drain to the main drain. Will my plan still work?

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you run the shower into the stack separately and connect it with a san-tee, the stack can be the shower vent if the only fixtures draining into the stack above that san-tee are other bathroom fixtures from the same floor level. Otherwise, you need a different strategy for venting the shower.

If draining through that combo were only bathroom fixtures from at most 2 bathrooms on the same floor, then the combo connection could serve as a horizontal wet vent, and the shower would be vented. But because you have a kitchen sink and a bathroom upstairs running through there, your pictured layout would not have a vent for the shower.

One option would be to dry vent the shower; if the stack you are connecting to has no drainage from the floor above (and goes up through the roof), you could connect the vent to the stack above all the drains and at least 6" above the shower flood level. If it has drainage from the floor above, you'd have to run the vent separately to a height where you can connect above all the drains. Or else use an AAV in a wall enclosure (since MD uses the IPC, if I recall).

Another option is to wet vent the shower by splitting the horizontal 2" drain going up and down the page on your photo. One branch would carry the kitchen sink and any upstairs fixtures (all of which should already have been vented). The other would carry the sink in the same bathroom (which will need a dry vent, either atmospheric or an AAV), plus possibly other bathroom fixtures, and then pick up the shower. That allows the sink in that bathroom to wet vent the shower; after the shower comes in, the two separate horizontal drains (local bathroom group and more distant drains) could combine before joining the stack.

Cheers, Wayne

Anna Luttrell

Reaction score
If you run the shower into the stack separately and connect it with a san-tee, the stack can be the shower vent if the only fixtures draining into the stack above that san-tee are other bathroom fixtures from the same floor level. Otherwise, you need a different strategy for venting the shower.

If draining through that combo were only bathroom fixtures from at most 2 bathrooms on the same floor, then the combo connection could serve as a horizontal wet vent, and the shower would be vented. But because you have a kitchen sink and a bathroom upstairs running through there, your pictured layout would not have a vent for the shower.

One option would be to dry vent the shower; if the stack you are connecting to has no drainage from the floor above (and goes up through the roof), you could connect the vent to the stack above all the drains and at least 6" above the shower flood level. If it has drainage from the floor above, you'd have to run the vent separately to a height where you can connect above all the drains. Or else use an AAV in a wall enclosure (since MD uses the IPC, if I recall).

Another option is to wet vent the shower by splitting the horizontal 2" drain going up and down the page on your photo. One branch would carry the kitchen sink and any upstairs fixtures (all of which should already have been vented). The other would carry the sink in the same bathroom (which will need a dry vent, either atmospheric or an AAV), plus possibly other bathroom fixtures, and then pick up the shower. That allows the sink in that bathroom to wet vent the shower; after the shower comes in, the two separate horizontal drains (local bathroom group and more distant drains) could combine before joining the stack.

Cheers, Wayne
Thanks so much for your detailed response Wayne, I really appreciate it! So I could do this plan with an AAV for the shower and be good to go?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks