Is this one of the 'OK' offset closet flanges?

Users who are viewing this thread

grymes56

Reaction score
I am doing a full joist up bathroom remodel - including replacing about 85 percent of the home's rotting copper DWV system with PVC...BTW I do not need to worry about inspections but I want it done right regardless.

I purchased a Toto Promenade (12" rough, and it doesnt work with UNIFIT) BEFORE starting the renovation assuming I could rough it in at 12".

Anyway, it turns out that I was forced to rough in the toilet at 14" because of a joist in the way that could not be headered off or moved. I used a 4x3 closet bend and the top is about flush with the top of the subfloor. I will be doing a traditional mudbed on the floor with thick marble tile - so I should have plenty thickness to fit this offset flange. The codes are ambiguous regarding offset flanges - only stating that fittings cannot have a shelf for obvious reasons.

I have read on Terry Love forums that SOME of the offset flanges are OK - specifically the non-oval ones. Does this classify as one of those? The ring is stainless so I am not worried about corrosion.

The Sioux Cheif website claims that a full 3" ball will pass with no obstuctions, and that it is UPC listed.

http://www.siouxchief.com/Drainage/ResidentialDrainage/Closet-Flanges/Full-Flush.C2ZZV

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you are going to use an offset, then that will work.

offset-closet-flange-5831.jpg

offset-closet-flange-5831-top.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
If you roughed in a 4x3 ell against the sub-floor there is no way that is going to fit, look at how far the joint has to be below the floor, also if you are against a joist you will have to cut part of that out too.

grymes56

Reaction score
If you roughed in a 4x3 ell against the sub-floor there is no way that is going to fit, look at how far the joint has to be below the floor, also if you are against a joist you will have to cut part of that out too.

I can make the floor be as thick as 2" with mud and tile. That flange I linked to is of the 4" inside/3" outside type. That is to say it fits inside sch 40 4" pie OR it fits over sch 40 3" pipe (standard 3" hub). Since I have a 4 inch hub from the 4x3 bend I will slip in a short segment of 4" pipe into the hub, and then the closet flange fits into the short segment of pipe. That is the way I would do it regardless of the offset flange. There is no more cutting needed - the hub from the 4x3 ell is totally visible thru the hole I cut when laying the subfloor.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
That offset flange works fine. I've installed plenty of them. Normally you do wind up hacking some joists.
You can also get flanges with a 45% angle. Those might work better for you.

Last edited:

grymes56

Reaction score
thanks for the info Terry. Since I already have the 4x3 closet bend in there and the subfloor closed in I either have to go with an offset flange or nothing at all. Also - the 45 deg flanges wouldnt help much anyway since the drain runs parallel to the wall (i,e, perpendicular to the toilet centerline). That is why I couldn't header off the joist to begin with - the drain itself running thru the joist bay prevented that.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks