Is this old kitchen sink faucet useable?

Users who are viewing this thread

SammyClemens

Reaction score
I got this faucet with an old cast iron sink, and I'd to install it when I switch out my countertops in a few days. My main question is whether someone can tell me just by looking at the pictures whether it's worth the effort, given that one of the lines is crimped. Also the end of the three lines are each different. One looks to be cut. One is threaded. And one seems to be a nut and ferrule. I am making the assumption that the threaded line is for a spray hose (?) which I don't plan on using, so I would need to cap that. Is it possible to repair or replace the other two lines, such that I can connect them to my existing water supply lines with a stainless steel braided hose?

My plumbing experience is limited, as you can probably tell from the description. Any thoughts appreciated!

Attachments

• faucet.jpg
    faucet.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 174
  • lines.jpg
    lines.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 171

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
While it is possible to repair the lines, California has some fairly strict rules, it might be illegal because of both the potential of lead and the gpm flow rate. In Texas, it's illegal to install, import, or sell a plumbing fixture that doesn't meet the current rules, I don't know how CA handles this. You're allowed to repair an existing one, but since this is not already installed, it generally is not.

The line with the free nut and ferrule may need a ferrule puller to remove it. They may have decided to just cut the other one off because it was easier. To get by the crimp, you may have to cut it off above and probably use a junction with a compression coupler fitting to attach it to the pipe left over, and a standard SS braided hose would attach the other side of the adapter.
brass-everbilt-brass-fittings-800759-c3_1000.jpg

SammyClemens

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. It's a good point about it leaking regardless of whether I manage to repair the lines. Re: lead, is there any way I could tell if the faucet contained it? Or is this just a likely fact given that it is older and might rely on brass construction? (I don't know the actual age of the faucet -- it is marked "Kohler C-L and also says 2.0 gpm which I think complies with California water restrictions).

The reason I'd go to the trouble of the repair is that it is a good size/look for the kitchen, good lever action feel, and has a nice solid heft of real metal compared to what I would purchase instead. Given that I have time on my hands I might take it on as a project despite the risk of it still leaking, but if I was just installing something that would be likely be poisoning me then would reconsider!

Reach4

Reaction score
The great majority of the lead that was going to leach out leached out long ago.

1. You could patch the bent tube by cutting out a section, and soldering on a small section of copper tubing/pipe which would serve as a coupler.
  2. You might be able to take part of the kink out by shoving a steel rod up there. Grind the tip of the rod to a chisel point, insert, and then twist. A long screwdriver could be that steel rod. You might have to grind down the side flares.
    image_17441.jpg
  3. The kink may look worse than it is. You could just test to see if the water flow is impeded a lot or not.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks