Is this OK (Closet Flange Install)

Users who are viewing this thread

Kubstix

Reaction score
I am having some concrete work done, and showed the guys the schematics of what my plumbing was going to be. I had all the fittings ready to go, pipe, blueprints, ect. The only thing they didn't do was my 90 elbow properly. I wanted to stick a 2 foot 4" pipe out of the concrete that I was going to cut flush after I tiled. However I discovered it looks like the 90 is almost going to be flush with the concrete pour. Will I be able to get a toilet flange in this?

Attachments

• IMG_20181110_070454.jpg
    IMG_20181110_070454.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 190

Kubstix

Reaction score
Yes. There's a flange that fits inside 4" pipe. Glue pipe into the socket, cut it flush, then install the flange.

My concern is I couldn't get a flange to push down far enough without hitting the inside of that elbow? I guess my understanding was, if they were going to do it like this, they should have a used a street 90? Will it push down far enough?

Reach4

Reaction score
https://s3.amazonaws.com/s3.supplyhouse.com/product_files/Sioux-Chief-884-PTM-Submittal-Sheet.pdf
884-PTM has a stainless ring (better) and a 2.4375" tail depth. If you want one with a shallower tail, those exist too. Measure from a straightedge representing the new height and see what you will have to work with. It is a "3x4 flange" which can fit outside of a 3 inch pipe or inside of a 4 inch.

That flange has a knock out that you hit with a hammer after you have done leak testing.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
If you need to cut part of the tail off a longer inside fit flange, that works too. The cemented surface should be at least an inch long.

Kubstix

Reaction score
I actually ended up cutting everything out and redoing from washing machine to toilet. I found that my pitch was a bit excessive for 4" being that elbow came all the way to the top on a 6ft run to a 10.5" deep sewage basin. So I dropped the whole thing to more of a reasonable pitch. I also measured that the back of the unfinished wall to the center of my pipe was 15 1/2 inches so I was going to have a huge gap behind my toilet to finished drywall. So I lowered the pitch, stuck a pipe out for concrete, and moved back to 12 3/4 from framing just in case I go with the full Toto 12". You guys think I'm good to go now?

Attachments

• IMG_20181111_112005.jpg
    IMG_20181111_112005.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 183

Reach4

Reaction score
Depending on the height of things, you would also have the option of a 4 inch outside flange. Even a compression flange, where you don't glue; you tighten screws. Nothing wrong with gluing, but for a novice, the non-glue solution seems to give do-over potential. It offers flexiblity in case you decide to top the concrete with some flooring later too.

If you want that route, you save clearance space with a styrofoam spacer in place when you pour concrete. I am not saying that you should do that, but I was just pointing out the possibility.

There are nice inside 4 inch no-glue flanges also.

Kubstix

Reaction score
Depending on the height of things, you would also have the option of a 4 inch outside flange. Even a compression flange, where you don't glue; you tighten screws. Nothing wrong with gluing, but for a novice, the non-glue solution seems to give do-over potential. It offers flexiblity in case you decide to top the concrete with some flooring later too.

If you want that route, you save clearance space with a styrofoam spacer in place when you pour concrete. I am not saying that you should do that, but I was just pointing out the possibility.

There are nice inside 4 inch no-glue flanges also.

Yeah my plans were to have the concrete poured and after I tile I will take an angle grinder and cut the pipe flush with tile and install a 4" inside fit gasketed toilet flange with a stainless ring on it so I don't have to glue, ect ect and tapcon the flange right into the tile or concrete. I haven't decided if I'm going to tile up to the piping, or make a square for the flange to sit inside the tile. Thank you for your responses.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks