Is this important in a sink strainer?

Users who are viewing this thread

LonnythePlumber

Plumber, Contractor, Attorney
Reaction score
Easy

Posters don't have the same vision we do on plumbing. That's part of the reason they post. We are a site that uses the posters questions and comments to reflect on our trade practices. This poster and others may prefer a uniform and agreed answer that is not always available. I think we should cut them some slack. They may see us as a straight yes or no site.
I don't know what PM means but it may mean whether to post a message or not.

booman

Reaction score
Garvin 711 Spin n Grin

I just talked to someone at Garvin and the "BTN" means "brass tail nut" and the "BLTN" means "brass locking and tail nut". The locking nut referred to is the big one that locks the strainer basket to the sink and the tail nut connects the tailpiece at the bottom of the strainer. Brass is required in certain parts of the country and the person didnt know why. It is not "tall" nut but "tail" nut. Hope this helps clarify because I was also totally confused. Garvin is a great brand and is made in the USA. This is really the only product they make.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
nut

In generic terms it is a "slip nut", and is used for many things other than as a "tailpiece" nut. The Spin-N-Grin drain was created by SAYCO back in the 50's so they must have purchased the rights from them, or are having it made for them.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks