Is this galvanic corrosion, or just a bad seal?

Users who are viewing this thread

Temp945

Reaction score
I replaced my water heater supply lines just over a year ago. I just noticed that there is some corrosion forming around one of the hose joint connections.

I've attached a photo below. There is a tiny bit of water leakage at the hose joint - just enough that I can detect moisture with my finger, but not enough to drip or puddle.

Is this galvanic corrosion? Or is it just a bad seal? Once I know the answer to that question, then I can properly fix it.

My understanding is that galvanic corrosion occurs from dissimilar metals being in contact with water. But the nipples are steel and the hose nuts are steel. The nipples are also dielectric. So my guess is that this is not galvanic corrosion, but just a bad hose. What do you all think? Thanks for reading :)

Attachments

• IMG_3881_(Medium).jpeg
    IMG_3881_(Medium).jpeg
    56 KB · Views: 109

Reach4

Reaction score
Could the cure for that could be to turn that hex 1/4 turn clockwise, while countering the torque above the nut?

Temp945

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. You were all correct: it was just a leak. I was overthinking things (as usual) by worrying about galvanic corrosion.

As Reach suggested, tightening by 1/4 turn (and being careful to not also turn/torque the hose above) appears to have solved the problem.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks