Is this flue ok???

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
I’m considering buying this new natural gas hot water heater (pic attached). The installation manual states that it requires a double wall type B flue pipe.

Short of climbing my roof and taking the cap off, I don’t know if my flue is double wall or not.

House was built in 1968 and I took a picture of the flue going through the attic a few years ago (pic attached).

Label says “model G type B” but I can’t find any old archived manual that would confirm double walled.

Can anyone take a look at the label and tell me what I have please?

Thanks in advance

Side note: Has anyone had any experience with the HWH that I’m looking at, good or bad?

Attachments

• BE331BA3-C2DA-4E1A-A934-C79E1EDFEED2.png
    BE331BA3-C2DA-4E1A-A934-C79E1EDFEED2.png
    140.4 KB · Views: 130
  • E2C2B6AA-E3DA-4C5C-8E74-934CB13F803A.jpeg
    E2C2B6AA-E3DA-4C5C-8E74-934CB13F803A.jpeg
    132.2 KB · Views: 127

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Not familiar with that existing vent. But here is the website for the manufactuer Van-Packer.. They may be able to identify an older product and guide you whether its the correct product.

It seems like it is. But I would have to see more of how its installed than just the label.

Reaction score
Not familiar with that existing vent. But here is the website for the manufactuer Van-Packer.. They may be able to identify an older product and guide you whether its the correct product.

It seems like it is. But I would have to see more of how its installed than just the label.
Thanks for the reply. I put an info request in with them. We’ll see…

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
is it metal? magnetic? could be kinda like cement asbestos a good chance but your pic dosent tell me much .
Assuming you had a stanard tank type water heater befor. from 68 Id expect Transite or an asbestos pipe of some sort used for the vent. cant vouch for the condition of it Ive seen many that appear ok

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
That WH looks like a power vent product. You likely do not need a power vent and the extra noise and parts to break.

Reaction score
is it metal? magnetic? could be kinda like cement asbestos a good chance but your pic dosent tell me much .
Assuming you had a stanard tank type water heater befor. from 68 Id expect Transite or an asbestos pipe of some sort used for the vent. cant vouch for the condition of it Ive seen many that appear ok
Unfortunately I don’t know. Obviously I have metal flue pipe going from HWH up into the chase, but idk if it stays metal the whole way, or just terminates in the presumably asbestos pipe going through my attic.

Reaction score
That WH looks like a power vent product. You likely do not need a power vent and the extra noise and parts to break.
The only reason why I am considering is to save space in the utility closet where the HWH and furnace are. This new HWH that I am looking at is a 29 gal that supposedly produces as much HW as a 50 gallon.

Ofcourse I could go the tankless route and save a ton of space but I’m not sold on tankless being the way to go.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Unfortunately I don’t know. Obviously I have metal flue pipe going from HWH up into the chase, but idk if it stays metal the whole way, or just terminates in the presumably asbestos pipe going through my attic.
Usually at the waterheater is a single wall vent connector , at the cieling or chase typicaly most homes today are type b double wall sheet metal.
Your Image says Type B and spec calls for type B So providing condition is good shouldnt be a problem of cource no one knows what is behind the sheet rock or up in the chase . but nothing indicates a problem .

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
............. Your Image says Type B and spec calls for type B So providing condition is good shouldn't be a problem of coarse no one knows what is behind the sheet rock or up in the chase . But nothing indicates a problem.

Jeff is correct. Type B has been around for decades and some old pictures on line of VAN PACKER asbestos flue (type B) from the 1950's.

Screen Shot 2022-09-23 at 10.57.48 AM.jpg

Reaction score
Usually at the waterheater is a single wall vent connector , at the cieling or chase typicaly most homes today are type b double wall sheet metal.
Your Image says Type B and spec calls for type B So providing condition is good shouldnt be a problem of cource no one knows what is behind the sheet rock or up in the chase . but nothing indicates a problem .
Thanks

So I did call Van-Packer and they said they don’t have any information on something that old, but there “should” be a type B liner inside the (what I presume to be asbestos) chimney stack.

He followed up with saying to get a smoke test done to see if it is leaking before hooking anything up to it.

Current HWH has been running through there for years before I moved in, so hopefully it’s good. CO alarms haven’t gone off so that’s a plus!

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thanks

So I did call Van-Packer and they said they don’t have any information on something that old, but there “should” be a type B liner inside the (what I presume to be asbestos) chimney stack.

He followed up with saying to get a smoke test done to see if it is leaking before hooking anything up to it.

Current HWH has been running through there for years before I moved in, so hopefully it’s good. CO alarms haven’t gone off so that’s a plus!
Ive got no info either except I think its likely asbestos not guessing the condition I think it could very well be in fine condition.

Fitter30

Reaction score
B vent has no asbestos that i know. Its two layers of sheet metal with a small air gap between the layers. Brands of b vent are not usally interchangable. From the riser exposed in basement single wall flue pipe is accepted. Does it run all the way to above roof or into a chimney. Water heater is piped higher than furnace at riser.

Reaction score
B vent has no asbestos that i know. Its two layers of sheet metal with a small air gap between the layers. Brands of b vent are not usally interchangable. From the riser exposed in basement single wall flue pipe is accepted. Does it run all the way to above roof or into a chimney. Water heater is piped higher than furnace at riser.
I know that the cement looking stack goes up to the roof line. On the roof is a metal fake chimney.

Fitter30

Reaction score
Since the stack is cement just use a standard vented 50 gallon heater. Looking at the tech specs standard verses encore $7 difference operating cost.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks