Is this drain configuration acceptable?

Users who are viewing this thread

Gar1

Reaction score
Redoing an upstairs bathroom. I have a 4" cast iron stack, and upstairs I cut out all of the old drain piping, which was a mess of lead pipes, side tapped cast iron pipe with an odd rubber gasket fitting on it and other interesting parts.

I decided to go with 3" so I can fit 2 wyes in there. One for the toilet and one for the bathtub and sink.

I created a rough configuration with some fittings available to me locally. Is this acceptable? Will it cause venting issues? Sink and tub are about 3 feet from the 2 inch fitting shown in photo.

Any issues with fittings?

Attachments

• 20171021_192008.jpg
    20171021_192008.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 307
  • 20171021_192021.jpg
    20171021_192021.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 724
  • 20171021_192042.jpg
    20171021_192042.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 591
  • 20171021_192022.jpg
    20171021_192022.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 312

Gar1

Reaction score
I'm guessing that I'm going to have venting issues.

The top arm coming off the horizontal wye will go directly to the bathtub. How far down does the trap need to be in order to get proper venting, since the drain drops in to the wye and doesnt get air until the stack.

Also, my plan for the sink was to have the p-trap connect through the wall, then drop down to the floor, cross through a single joist, then drop again below the rest of the joists straight to the lowest 2 inch piece sticking out of my pictures above.

Neither the sink nor the tub have any kind of route back to the vent currently. I could vent the tub easily through an open wall going up to cover the pipe, but the sink will be almost impossible without running its own line straight through the roof or putting in an AAV, which I didn't want to do.

Attachments

• 20171023_103108.jpg
    20171023_103108.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 360

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
How are you planning to vent the toilet shower and sink? You are not showing any vents for the shower and the sink and if you are planning to connect other drains to the stack the toilet is not vented either.

Reach4

Reaction score
I created a rough configuration with some fittings available to me locally. Is this acceptable? Will it cause venting issues?
Is the line that will go up from there a vent that will not have any drainage from above? If so, somebody will probably be able to recommend a way. I think one aspect will be to put the toilet drain lower than the shower and lavatory drains or on the same level.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you run the lav with 2" that would vent the toilet.
For the shower to be vented, it would come off the lav line, but at the same level as the horizontal and not 90's up. The moment you raise the line, you lose the venting.

index.php

The 3/4 bath on the upper left is your layout. Or it should be.
Fittings on the horizontal will be wye fittings. The 90's are long turns.
The fitting for the lav is a santee because that one is on the vertical.

Gar1

Reaction score
How are you planning to vent the toilet shower and sink? You are not showing any vents for the shower and the sink and if you are planning to connect other drains to the stack the toilet is not vented either.

Sorry, yes, the top opening actually goes straight up and out the side of the house to vent. I pulled that off for a moment just to dry fit some things in and see how it looked.

So this would vent the toilet properly, no?

I can add a vent to the tub line and just loop back up to towards the top of that vent stack, since it will all be hidden in a wall cavity from bumping out the wall another 8 inches or so.

The sink however, is what's got me stumped, because I don't want to penetrate the roof, and I can't loop it up and over, there's no place to hide the pipe because the vent on the stack goes out the side of the house over a side roof, doesn't go up to the attic and out the top roof, if that makes sense.

Too bad, because I keep reading stories about failing AAV's so I didn't want to go that route.

Could I do a loop that goes higher than the sink trap, then drops back down to the same level but only connects to the vent stack where the tub goes off sideways to loop back up to the stack vent?

I can draw a picture to clarify.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks