Is this considered a “leak”.

Users who are viewing this thread

Spencern

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I’ve been lurking on this forum for a while, but now I have a reason to post.

I’m redoing two bathrooms, and installed Pex. I’m used to copper, but thought I would try Pex since it’s a tight fit. I just turned the water back on, and checked all the connections. Everything seems good, except the following.

On one connection, a cloudy, bubbly liquid fizzled (could hear it fizzle) out of of the the connections. It then stopped. No more than a teardrops worth of liquid came out. Now that I’ve wiped it off, nothing else has come out.

Not really sure what to make of it. My guess is it was a mixture of dust water and air. Has anyone experienced this before? Not sure if I should rip it out and redo it. I used Pex A 1/2 inch.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thank you

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Expansion with a manual tool?

Did you double expand that joint? I had one where I got the pex wet, and tried to put on a fitting. The ring slipped down. I removed the slipped ring, dried the pex, and tried a new ring before expanding. Would not fit over the pex. I expanded the ring, put that over the pex, and expanded as normal. Slow leak on that connection. I put a worm gear radiator clamp over that ring. Leak stopped. Some time later I removed the worm gear clamp. Still no leak

Spencern

Reaction score
Expansion with a manual tool?

Did you double expand that joint? I had one where I got the pex wet, and tried to put on a fitting. The ring slipped down. I removed the slipped ring, dried the pex, and tried a new ring before expanding. Would not fit over the pex. I expanded the ring, put that over the pex, and expanded as normal. Slow leak on that connection. I put a worm gear radiator clamp over that ring. Leak stopped. Some time later I removed the worm gear clamp. Still no leak
Yes manual tool. It’s possible I double expanded the joint, but I always replaced the sleeve if did. It’s been a few days since I did it so I thought any issues like that would have fixed themselves by now.
It sounds like as long as it’s not actively leaking it should be fine? I just a little weary since it’s going to be behind a wall.

Reach4

Reaction score
Yes manual tool. It’s possible I double expanded the joint, but I always replaced the sleeve if did. It’s been a few days since I did it so I thought any issues like that would have fixed themselves by now.
It sounds like as long as it’s not actively leaking it should be fine? I just a little weary since it’s going to be behind a wall.
I think so, but a small worm-gear radiator clamp around the ring would make extra-sure.

Spencern

Reaction score
I think so, but a small worm-gear radiator clamp around the ring would make extra-sure.
After researching this a bit more, I realized I didn’t rotate the expansion tool when expanding the Pex. This is most likely the cause. To be safe, I’m going to rip everything out and redo it, since it’s not too much. Just $30 worth of seemly overpriced sleeves and 90 degree angles for some peace of mind. I appreciate your assistance.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks