Is this connector for a range obsolete?

Users who are viewing this thread

Edinpdx

Reaction score
So I bought this 1960's Frigidaire range for $200. It looks to be in great shape- all original parts seem to be there. Super clean with few scratches. My wife would like it to replace the stove under microwave that we have now.

Q: Current range is GAS and measures 36" across- the flair is 40"- so we have to trim out the cabinetry. I have not tested the electrical as I don't have an outlet to match the plug pictured. I'd like to install it, but I need to know if it all works- or works at all. Is there a way to to power up the 230v without the matching outlet?

flair plug.jpg
Flairpink.jpg

Thanks for any input/ideas

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
That plug is deprecated but still available. Best option I think would be for a qualified person to check the appliance internal wiring, confirm that the neutral wiring everywhere is insulated from the chassis, and properly install a cord with a 4 prong plug.

For testing, you could use a 14-50P to 10-50R adapter, assuming I've correctly identified that plug as 10-50 and not 10-30. Such an adapter should have none of the 10-50R slots connected to the 14-50P EGC pin. And be careful testing, an old appliance could have a variety of dangerous internal faults.

Cheers, Wayne

Edinpdx

Reaction score
That plug is deprecated but still available. Best option I think would be for a qualified person to check the appliance internal wiring, confirm that the neutral wiring everywhere is insulated from the chassis, and properly install a cord with a 4 prong plug.

For testing, you could use a 14-50P to 10-50R adapter, assuming I've correctly identified that plug as 10-50 and not 10-30. Such an adapter should have none of the 10-50R slots connected to the 14-50P EGC pin. And be careful testing, an old appliance could have a variety of dangerous internal faults.

Cheers, Wayne

Thanks, Wayne. This plug was mis-ID'd by me. I found the adapter you recommended. I have a nephew that is a Journeyman Electrician I would call to wire the kitchen for the new range- is he the "GUY" that would also be called to check the internal wiring as well? Should I be calling a Frigidaire Service center, or will any appliance repairman be able to do the inspection- I do have the Frigidaire tech's service manual fo a "qualified repairman to refer to."

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
is he the "GUY"
I don't know, maybe? You could ask him if he feels qualified to do that. At a minimum open the wiring compartment and after removing any intentional neutral-chassis bond, check for continuity between neutral and chassis. Maybe even megger each conductor to the chassis.

The above comments assume the inside of that thing look anything like the inside of a range built this millennium, I could be off base.

Cheers, Wayne

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
All modern electric stoves today require a four-wire connector: L1, L2, N, G. If your old wiring is only 3-wires (L1, L2, N), they do allow you to wire up to it. IN a new stove, the ground and neutral are not connected together, but with a 3-wire plug, you don't use the G lead, but the bonding must exist. While this is for a GE oven, the concept is identical 31-10556-5 (geappliances.com)

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
This is why I like my standing pilot gas oven. The only wires on it, go to the clock that broke sometime in the nineties.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Yeah, I like my gas range, but if I had cheap electric rates, or my own solar cell field, I'd probably go to an inductive cooktop...you get similar, smooth power (heat) range, and the instant heat of a gas burner. And, it's easier to keep clean.

Fitter30

Reaction score

Cheers, Wayne
If the wiring and connectors look good the only other problem would be the thermostats. Most would be obsolete containing some type of liquid maybe mercury? Thermostats what ever kind (except electronic) start to work from their born on date.

Norcal01

Reaction score
That plug is only allowed in existing installation done prior to the 1996 NEC, if new wiring is installed to supply that Frigidaire Flair range, it will have to be a 4-wire supply to comply with current code.

Used to have the same range until got another range & donated the Flair range to the local Habitat for Humanity ReStore.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
That plug is only allowed in existing installation done prior to the 1996 NEC, if new wiring is installed to supply that Frigidaire Flair range, it will have to be a 4-wire supply to comply with current code.

Used to have the same range until got another range & donated the Flair range to the local Habitat for Humanity ReStore.
Yea Yea, I donated mine too it was 10 oclock at night in a dark alley hope it went to a good home . I did appliance change outs way back and ran into a few of those and I remember those being somewhat common as a kid not fun to move though

Norcal01

Reaction score
BTW, General Motors, the then owner of Frigidaire had product placement on the old Bewitched TV series, the Frigidaire Flair range could be seen in the background, + Chevrolet autos. Would love to own a 1st gen Camaro.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks