Is this code compliant?

Users who are viewing this thread

zer0123

Reaction score
Hello,
I have attached a photo for you to better see what I’m talking about.

Starting from left to right
1) 2” drain for washing machine
2) 1-1/2” bathroom sink drain adapter inlet which then becomes 2” at 18” OC from floor (will have p trap going into it) and has Studor vent installed above it.
3) pipe that has red cap will have clean out installed - toilet will sit in front of it

The pipe all the way to the right goes under the floor and then joins into a 3” pipe for the toilet which then goes on to the main 4” stack. The total run to the stack was over 6’ which is why I added the studor vent.

The water lines have not yet been run in the area pictured but afterwards they will be covered with a removable cedar panel with only the stub outs for the water lines and a cut out for the studor vent visible. The whole assembly is installed on the interior of a finished 2x6 wall for maximum protection from the cold weather and easy access for repairs (hopefully not needed). The short wall will stop short of the washing machine drain which will be hidden behind the washer.

As far as the ductwork, the left one goes up to the bath fan and the right one is for the dryer. They both exit the house downward, below the floor joists and then right out the house.

I’m just checking to see if someone knowledgeable with the plumbing codes will let me know if I’m clear to continue with the water lines.

I will be having the county inspector coming by but I would rather not have to redo my work :)

Oh and for your reference, each of those eastern cedar wall boards (stained green) have a visible area of about 5-1/4” vertically

Attachments

• 3ED1C747-D404-4E50-B30D-7DD5135EC9F9.jpeg
    3ED1C747-D404-4E50-B30D-7DD5135EC9F9.jpeg
    93.2 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Plumbing code varies by state, so you'll need to provide your location or which code you are subject to (IPC, UPC, or one of the oddballs).

UPC doesn't generally permit AAVs, but the IPC does.

The main problem is the wet venting of the WC. The lav drain alone can wet vent the WC, but once you add in the laundry standpipe, the resulting drain can no longer be used as a wet vent for the WC, under either the UPC or the IPC. The usual solution would be to keep the washing machine drain and vent separate, so that the lav drain can wet vent the WC. Then downstream of the lav/WC drain junction the washing machine drain can join in.

Cheers, Wayne

zer0123

Reaction score
Thanks Wayne, does it make a difference that the WC is within 4’ of the main vent that goes out the roof?

Oh and I’m in Knox County, TN

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
At this point it might be easy to add a dry vent for the toilet , perhaps the under floor hasent been done? dont know how anything was run under floor that dry vent would need to be verticle though below flood level of w/c.

zer0123

Reaction score
I’ll see if I can get a photo of the underside later today to see if that helps

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thanks Wayne, does it make a difference that the WC is within 4’ of the main vent that goes out the roof?
If that main vent stack has no drainage from above, and if you keep the WC separate from the combined lav/washer, and if the WC joins the stack at the same elevation as the combined lav/washer, or above the combined lav/washer, then the stack can dry vent the WC.

A floor plan would be easier to work with than a picture. That can show all the horizontal pipe runs, and the vertical runs just show up as circles.

Oh and I’m in Knox County, TN
Up.codes says TN uses the IPC--2018 for Knoxville, 2012 for the state as a whole.

Cheers, Wayne

zer0123

Reaction score
I flattened out the layout and put the horizontal lengths in. It got a little distorted but hopefully it makes sense…

Please let me know if any clarification is needed.

Attachments

• 50AFA9C4-5A48-4340-8B03-72B91E6440AE.jpeg
    50AFA9C4-5A48-4340-8B03-72B91E6440AE.jpeg
    56.4 KB · Views: 99

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
toilet cant enter verticaly into main. horizontal wet venting for bathrooms kitchen sink cant go like that otherwise you are pretty close

zer0123

Reaction score
Is it possible for someone to mark up a suggestion on the drawing? Not really sure how to fix it. :p

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I dont know how to modify the drawing but the fitting the toilet is sitting on lay on side and install a 90 coming up.
on the tub wye like you did but instead of a trap have 2 lines side by side at kitchen sink going verticle above the 90 put a santee pointed toward tub join vents together at 42 inches above floor. hope iot makes sence now ?

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Can you tie the toilet into the stack lower? And then seperate the kitchen and bathtub?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks