Is this bathroom layout allowed in Seattle? (vertical wet vent)

Users who are viewing this thread

Goleary91

Reaction score
I'm replumbing a bathroom in Seattle, moving some fixtures. There's one shower, one toilet and one sink.
The main stack is right next to the bathroom, so I was planning to run the toilet through a closet bend (in the closest joist bay) then down and below the joists to the stack used as a drain and vent (this is less than 6'). Then the shower drain (on the left) in the same joist bay as the stack direct to the stack over the toilet (less than 5 feet).
1669094099064.png

Here's a view above where I plan to run the lav drain (1.5") to the stack and also vent separately to the stack since it's too far away to direct vent off the stack:
1669094750367.png

The toilet/shower vent is wet since the lav/shower drain are above the toilet, but I think that's allowed since it's one bathroom group on a single floor and since the vent is 3"?

Thanks!

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
If I understand correctly, from the top of the stack down you would have:

Opening through the roof
No fixtures above the floor in the question
Lav vent connection
Lav drain connection
Shower drain connection
WC drain connection

That works for vertical wet venting on a 3" stack. The shower drain still has to meet the usual trap arm limits (2" pipe, 60" trap arm length, maximum 2" fall)

Cheers, Wayne

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
The closet bend is not allowed to run on two levels as you describe. It must have a straight run from the closet bend or single elbow then straight to the stack at 1/4" per ft.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
The closet bend is not allowed to run on two levels as you describe. It must have a straight run from the closet bend or single elbow then straight to the stack at 1/4" per ft.
Do you have a reference? I'm not aware of such a limitation in the UPC. The usual reason that applies to trap arms is to prevent trap siphoning, but that doesn't apply to WCs.

Cheers, Wayne

Goleary91

Reaction score
If I understand correctly, from the top of the stack down you would have:

Opening through the roof
No fixtures above the floor in the question
Lav vent connection
Lav drain connection
Shower drain connection
WC drain connection

That works for vertical wet venting on a 3" stack. The shower drain still has to meet the usual trap arm limits (2" pipe, 60" trap arm length, maximum 2" fall)

Cheers, Wayne
Exactly the setup I'm describing, thanks! And yes the shower trap arm will definitely be less than 60".

My followup question is exactly what you honed in on breplum, I wanted to make sure that my closet bend to 90 deg fitting on an angle to street 45 followed by final run to the stack would be legal. I'm trying to run the toilet drain in that joist bay for a little before dropping under the joist for the run to the stack so that it doesn't impeded headroom around the door.

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't have a reference I just know your breaking the vent on the toilet when you do it that way and I know you can't do that on a sink.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't have a reference I just know your breaking the vent on the toilet when you do it that way and I know you can't do that on a sink.
Agreed you can't do that on a sink, it's prohibited by UPC 1002.4 "The vent pipe opening from soil or waste pipe, except for water closets and similar fixtures, shall not be below the weir of the trap."

Water closets are explicitly exempted from that rule, so their vent connection elevation is not regulated, and it's fine for the WC trap arm to run horizontal, vertical, at a 45, in any combination of those, up to the 6' maximum length in the UPC.

Cheers, Wayne

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
Agreed you can't do that on a sink, it's prohibited by UPC 1002.4 "The vent pipe opening from soil or waste pipe, except for water closets and similar fixtures, shall not be below the weir of the trap."

Water closets are explicitly exempted from that rule, so their vent connection elevation is not regulated, and it's fine for the WC trap arm to run horizontal, vertical, at a 45, in any combination of those, up to the 6' maximum length in the UPC.

Cheers, Wayne
I don't see what your referring to.

Cheers, James

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks