Is this bath plan up to code?

Users who are viewing this thread

Pghsebring

DIY Member
Reaction score
I sketched out what i think i can get to fit under my main bath, so i can still finish the room below it with a minor amount of soffits, etc. I am especially concerned about the area in the red box...but other than that, any obvious errors?

mainbath.jpg

Now, this is the contraption i want to use in that "red box" area - the WC would dump into the long turn, the bath/lavs would dump into the 2" on the side, and the bottom would sit directly on top of a 3" stack. (Note: in the picture, it is spun 90 degrees around from how it would face according to my sketch - the 3" long turn opening would face right, the 2" branch would somewhat face you, the water would go away from you.)

IMG_20110506_195748.jpg

Another view:

IMG_20110506_195801.jpg

Is this all acceptable? I am in PA, we use 09 IPC i believe. Thanks in advance.

PS. How do you resize pics on here? I can't figure that out.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
PRobably okay by the IPC, because it allows almost anything, but most areas would reject it because the toilet is not vented. I would use 2" for the tub drain.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes, both IPC and UPC allow it. 2" for the tub drain is good practice also but not requred.

Pghsebring

DIY Member
Reaction score
At what point do you transition to 2 inch for the tub drain? All of the drains in the store are 1.5".

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
That's not much of a "stack"...

Why must everything be in that square design, wouldn't you prefer a more direct route for the tub drain (without 2 90s on their sides)...?

Nukeman

Nuclear Engineer
Reaction score
Why must everything be in that square design, wouldn't you prefer a more direct route for the tub drain (without 2 90s on their sides)...?

Based on what he mentioned in some of the other threads, I believe the plan is to run that 2" line below the joists and will box it in. I'm thinking that the tub trap might cause some issues, though (hanging down too far).

DavidTu

Reaction score
Yes, both IPC and UPC allow it. 2" for the tub drain is good practice also but not requred.

A little off topic... but... my inspector looked at my 2" CI drain and wanted me to change it to 1.5" claiming there was no benefit to 2" since the 1.5" tub drain would act as a bottleneck and no more throughput would be gained. (This didn't make sense to me as upsizing the fresh water supply from 3/4" at meter to 1" water main does work... but wondered if that's b/c under pressure?)

Anyway, is this inspector all wet?!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks