Is This an Ultramax or Ultimate

Users who are viewing this thread

Geobrick

Reaction score
I bought an Ultramax in February 2010 but I just came across a thread where someone said the Ultimate has the same model # as the Ultramax except the Ultramax has an 'S' in the model number.

My receipt says MS854114S 12. It had the G-Max valve in the tank (since replaced with a Korky) but look at the attached picture. It just has "CST 854" printed on it unless that faded letter the arrow points to is the 'S '.

Ultramax_IMG_2167.jpg

Is the Ultimate just an Ultramax with a different fill valve? Other threads talk about other factors but from the body of the toilet alone, it seems they are identical. If anyone has a similar picture (inside the tank) of an Ultimate (1.6gpf from about 2010), please post it here.

Last edited:

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Replacing previous post, because I wasn't thinking clearly.

It appears that you have the Ultramax.

The Ultimate used the old Power Gravity (1.6 gpf) flush. The Ultramax incorporated the newer GMax (1.6) flush into the Ultimate body, yielding the UltraMax. Ultimate-Max, sort of. Make sense?

With the Ultimate, you flush it, it kind of goes slurp, gurgle very quietly and the waste disappears. Usually the tank water level in the Power Gravity toilets was lower than in the GMax, and the flapper stayed open until the water level in the bowl was lower (because it started off lower).

There is a hotel in New Orleans and a hotel in Las Vegas that I stayed in where all the toilets were Ultimates. They are disconcertingly-quiet and very effective. You push the lever. No satisfying WHOOSH, just a slurp and the stuff is gone. Which is charming in its own way.

The THU140S flapper that came with the Power Gravity toilet is BLUE. The GMax flappers were PINK or RED.

The Ultramax used the GMax flush (1.6 gpf) and then later also the EMax flush (for the 1.28).

If the Fill Valve actually said GMax on it, then you have the Ultramax. The FILL valve design for both toilets is identical, but purely for marketing purposes, Toto often put the GMax logo on the fill valve for the UltraMAX, even though the fill valve would technically work in either toilet (although it would be set to a higher water level in the GMax). The GMax starts with a fuller tank and then only uses about half the tank for the flush. The Power Gravity starts with less water in the tank and uses much more than half the tank.

Those are the differences. Based on the flapper and your description of the fill valve, I would say "Ultramax". But you can validate that against what I described above.

What's up with that fill valve in the photo? How did that break like that? And it's certainly not a Korky.

Last edited:

Geobrick

Reaction score
The (partial) fill valve that's in the photo is the original GMax. It was leaking about a year ago so I took it apart to clean the various rubber parts. The fix didn't last very long so I eventually replaced it with the Korky 528MP that Terry and everyone else here recommends.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
The (partial) fill valve that's in the photo is the original GMax. It was leaking about a year ago so I took it apart to clean the various rubber parts. The fix didn't last very long so I eventually replaced it with the Korky 528MP that Terry and everyone else here recommends.

Cool. That's a good valve. We have (actually, I put) that valve in all of the toilets at our home. They have worked like champs for years now.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks