Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Had a plumber over on friday to give advice on how I should vent my 3" toilet drain, and even after telling the receptionist on both phone calls I was only looking for an idea on where to run the vent line, the guy was still upset when I told him I was doing the work myself. He said he's not in the business of giving advice, he wants to do the job and threatened to leave. I made it clear from the start I would pay their service call fee. He was the owner of the company, one of the largest in central Jersey.

Nonetheless after a bit of conversation yoga I convinced him to give me a quote anyways and I will talk it over with the fiancé and maybe give him the job; fully knowing I wasn't going to do that. I know how I'm going to route the vent now, up through the wall behind the shower and tie into the 3" main stack in the attic with a couple no flex fittings and a sanitary tee.

To my question: is the piping configuration in the attached picture an S-Trap? Is this not correct? He told me it would not be up to code and said he will need to tie the shower into the new 3" toilet drain and run them both to the stack in a new line and wye fitting (I was planning on running the new line for the toilet, just not tie the shower into it). I didn't want to take the tape off the end of the pvc for the picture, so I strung the trap up there as best I could so I could get the whole line in the shot.

Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• IMG_3599.JPG
    IMG_3599.JPG
    74.6 KB · Views: 787

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
To avoid an S trap, the vent must be ahead of the downward tilt. For clarification on the toilet, toilets have their traps built in. If you look at most newer toilets, you can see the drain outline.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
I don't understand. Where were you going to put the vent on that thing?

If you think you can just hook that up and it will be legal, then you haven't done enough research.

Hint: The weir of a p-trap must be below the top of the opening in the fitting that connects to its vent.

Also, you may want to look at the length of the trap arm.

And the type of fitting you are using.

Oh, wait. Is that your shower drain (what I thought it was from your discussion), or your toilet drain? If that's your toilet drain, you don't use a p-trap under a toilet, and you calculate the length of the trap arm differently than with other fixtures.

Last edited:
Reaction score
The photo shows the piping for the shower, the toilet will have a 2" vent coming off the line ~2' into the horizontal run to the stack.

I hadn't yet understood the vent/weir relationship and now it's clear. I will sketch up my plan for the plumbing and post in a new thread.

Thank you all for the help.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The shower can have a trap arm as long as five feet before the vent.
The toilets should be on a double wye, not a double santee.
The vent for the shower can be above the double wye for the toilets, but not below if that is supposed to be used as a vent.
I can tell the distance there, but if you are at five feet or less to the stack, you can fix several things by cutting out the double santee cross, cutting in a 3x2 santee for the shower and then adding the double wye for the toilets. If that's within five feet.
Longer than five feet and you will need to add a 1.5" vent for the shower.

back_to_back.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks