is this an acceptable way to connect a new drain?

Users who are viewing this thread

Rosann

Reaction score
I am a new DYI-er. Thanks so much for all the valuable information here? Here is my first post.

We are making a custom dog shower in our garage, opposite the laundry room. The only fixture in the laundry room is a washing machine, with 2 inch standpipe drain going down, and 1 1/2 vent up to attic. The attached photo shows where the washing machine drain goes from vertical to horizontal in the crawl space. The new drain will enter the crawl space 24 inches to the left of the washing machine drain and about 12-15 inches above the horizontal axis.

Can you please take a look at the scribbling I have done and confirm whether it is appropriate to connect the new drain directly to the vertical washing machine drain, using the same T/Y fitting that currently connects the washing machine drain to the horizontal axis (long turn combo T/Y)? Or do I need to connect the new drain on the horizontal axis, just behind where the washing machine connects?

What I am describing is shown on the far right side of the drawing attached.

BTW, the new drain has its own 1 1/2 inch vent, run up the wall and connected to the vent of the washing machine in the attic.

Thanks very much, Rosann.

Attachments

• IMG_1078.jpg
    IMG_1078.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 252
  • IMG_1070.jpg
    IMG_1070.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 255

Rosann

Reaction score
What you have on the drawing looks good. :)
Thank you, Terry! Here are photos of the actual "dry fit." From both sides. Does it look okay as far as the angles of the drain? Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_1086[6057].jpg
    IMG_1086[6057].jpg
    93 KB · Views: 233
  • IMG_1089[6058].jpg
    IMG_1089[6058].jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 247

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
You should drop down under the joist with 45 degree fittings and use a Santee to tie into the stack. A combo there is illegal.

Rosann

Reaction score
You should drop down under the joist with 45 degree fittings and use a Santee to tie into the stack. A combo there is illegal.
Thank you for the response, James. Do you mean the current slope is too steep coming right down out of the rim joist? Also, are you sure about the combo being illegal? I thought I needed to use a long sweep when connecting to the washer drain. I have a santee where the vent connects to the drain on the garage side: what I wasn't sure about is if that fittings behind the santee are okay because in most photos I see the vent/santee/drain in a straight vertical position but here I go horizontal. Sorry about my clumsy phrasing! I am a pure DYI'er trying to do this as much for the challenge (and fun) of learning to do something I am completely ill-suited for as for saving money! Trying to think and work in three dimensions really zaps my brain circuity.

Last edited:

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
What you have drawn works in the state of washington under UPC. They combination fitting connecting from your Horizontal connecting to the existing Vertical can be installed with a San Tee if you want. In that configuration the san tee is a drainage fitting.

Install a Test Tee or a Test Wye on that last horizontal prior to the vertical connection so you can properly test the system for leaks.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
This is the 45° fitting configuration James is referring to. I agree. Way better routing. Slightly more difficult, but not impossible. Drain.jpg

Rosann

Reaction score
I am running into trouble. Dry-fit didn't quite work. I couldn't properly fit the final pieces together!!!!
Is it permissible to "cheat" and use a flexible fitting to connect drain pipes together in the crawl space? I am about 1/2 inch out of alignment. I've cut apart and reattached twice already and still can't get it!!!! I spent hours in the crawl space last night!

Reach4

Reaction score
No, but shielded couplings are permitted. Would that help?
018578002784.jpg

They give rotational freedom about the axis, but very little change of direction freedom.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks