Is this AC condensate line correctly done?

Users who are viewing this thread

Cjccmc

Reaction score
I had a condensate line plug and water was dripping out of the AC unit about where I think the coils are located. The condensate line routes to a drain below my bathroom sink.

Did some reading and have some concerns about how this condensate line is hooked up to the AC.

1) There is no trap that I can see but when the fan is on air get forced out of the condensate drain. Do I need a trap or is the fan pushing air to serve the same purpose?

2) Read something about secondary pans but I only have one condensate line leaving the AC. Should there be two condensate drains from the AC?

3) There is an open 6 inch long vertical pipe at the highest point of the condensate line coming out of the AC. What is that for?

4) I had to cut that short horizontal run to get access to the pipe that disappears into the wall. Cut it twice since my first cut didn't provide enough swing clearance. Can I just put that back with 2 unions

Thanks for the help.

?
AC condensate overall .JPG
AC conn detail.JPG

Reach4

Reaction score
You could use a PVC Slide Repair Coupling to help fill the gap, but that is going to be swapped out anyway. You want to put a trap in there, about 3 to 4 inch water seal would be probably be good, before going down. Maybe some PVC pie and elbows. The output of that trap would vent to the air like your open pipe is.

Bgard

Reaction score
I would remove the pipe from where it comes out of the a/c drain pan and make a trap up closer to the top. make the trap with three 90's and a tee, use the tee on the downstream side of the trap to form a vent after the trap to keep the air from blowing out, also provide unions at the inlet of the trap and down where it enters the wall so that it can be easily removed to clean as the trap will get clogged up from time to time, also the way it is tied into your lav drain will not allow it to drain very well the tail piece can be cut off a little so it doesn't extend all the way into the trap. also I don't know if that connection meets code.

Cjccmc

Reaction score
I didn't think of this before, but since the condensate drain connects above the lavatory trap, why is another trap in the condensate line needed?

Bgard

Reaction score
the trap in the condensate line is to keep the conditioned air from blowing out, the trap in the drain is to seal the sewer gas from coming out the sink. if the trap in the condensate line was not there in your case the air would blow out the sink.

Cjccmc

Reaction score
the trap in the condensate line is to keep the conditioned air from blowing out, the trap in the drain is to seal the sewer gas from coming out the sink. if the trap in the condensate line was not there in your case the air would blow out the sink.

Ah, OK now I see. (I'm slow but usually get there :))

That vent pipe vent on the downstream side of the trap you described. Does it have a purpose to enable good condensate flow or is it just for access to pour in bleach or do other maintenance?

Bgard

Reaction score
Ah, OK now I see. (I'm slow but usually get there :))

That vent pipe vent on the downstream side of the trap you described. Does it have a purpose to enable good condensate flow or is it just for access to pour in bleach or do other maintenance?
It helps the flow if it was not there it would be like turning a bottle upside down to drain it will also stop it from siphoning the trap

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
...3) There is an open 6 inch long vertical pipe at the highest point of the condensate line coming out of the AC. What is that for?

The little pipe on the top is for placing a garden hose or compressed air to clean a plugged up drain line. There should be a cap on it. It is a very common problem and it is part of a routine maintenance. Push water with a garden hose through it maybe twice a year. However, all A/C condensation line should have a SAFE-T switch installed. It's a float switch that is installed at the drain pan or just outside the drip pan on the condensation line. The wire from the float switch is spliced into the 24v thermostat wire. When a backup occurs the float pushes open the contacts and therefore opens the power to the thermostat and it shuts everything down.

Google Safe-T Switch and you'll see several different configurations and many pictures on how it is installed.

shopping

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks