Is this a sign of septic tank failure or just old poop? Warning: images may be disgusting to some.

Users who are viewing this thread

Fuelcx19

Reaction score
I want to be sure before calling out a septic tank inspector. Please only respond if you have an answer to the question. I don't want to call a septic tank contractor if it's something a plumber can fix is why I'm asking. Thanks
toilet junk.png

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
I think you thought you were being funny.

Reach4

Reaction score
Since you are serious, when you have a septic tank in a derelict house you are dealing with, get the septic pumped. Getting a septic tank pumped is not that expensive, as long a the cleanout can be found fairly readily. The experienced septic pumpers know where to look. Getting a septic tank pumped earlier than needed is not expensive. A tank should be pumped well before any backups occur, but if you do start getting backups, act with urgency. I would guess an inspection would involve pumping first.

If you had no visible symptoms but don't know how long it has been since it was pumped, you would get it pumped.

My suspicion is that at some point squatters squatted there, but the water was not working. They pooped anyway, until the mound got high. The mound got shorter as it sat, decomposed, and dried out.

If you can get the water working, you would probably want to put in a new toilet and replace the fouled toilet, unless your time and effort does not have much value.

Whether you need to get the drain lines rodded, that is to be determined. But by my theory, there is a good chance no. I suspect they did not flush, and the crap did not make it to the drain lines.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks