Is there anything with large drain, great bowl clean, OK with softscrub, and not white?

Users who are viewing this thread

vkulesho

Reaction score
Due to certain issues I have to have something that will not clog. However, I don't want to swap a plunger for a brush either. I have no control over my cleaning ladies, so they may use whatever they have at the moment (whether it destroys special coating or not). Plus, my wife really doesn't want white toilets. I am stumped.
I spent countless days reading through this forum and watching videos of toilets flushing on Youtube, and here's what I did understand.
Caroma will handle a whole turkey, but you will have to scrub it constantly.
AS Champion 4 Max will be next choice, and it will wash the bowl OK, but it only comes in white and has some special coating that you cannot use SoftScrub on.
AS Vormax will do amazing job on the bowl (better than Toto Drake II, or Ultramax), but I will have to keep working the plunger, plus it has this special coating again.
Toto Drake I will have to scrub.
Toto Ultramax has special coating that will get destroyed by Softscrub in no time, plus it is a suspect in flushing prowess, and is not as good as Vormax in washing the bowl.

I don't care if I have to change the rubber seal every year (AS), but is there anything at all that I can have my cleaning ladies clean, and will not have to scrub poop off the sides or plunge it every month (preferably not in white)?
Will pressure assisted toilets make a better job at pushing the curd through?

Please, advise.

P.S. Quality is important to me, but not critical in many ways, since I have four toilets in my house and can wait for replacement parts to arrive if something isn't working right.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
The original Ultramax elongated MS854114S flushes great. It's not "suspect". It can be had without the coating. Comes in other than white: cotton white, colonial white, sedona beige and bone.

The Toto Aquia dual-flush has a washdown flush that does a good job of cleaning the bowl, but a smaller water spot (like most dual-flushes). Comes in those four colors and ebony (black).

If it's a hard stool issue, the Caroma brand has a wider trap than the others.

vkulesho

Reaction score
The original Ultramax elongated MS854114S flushes great. It's not "suspect". It can be had without the coating. Comes in other than white: cotton white, colonial white, sedona beige and bone.

The Toto Aquia dual-flush has a washdown flush that does a good job of cleaning the bowl, but a smaller water spot (like most dual-flushes). Comes in those four colors and ebony (black).

If it's a hard stool issue, the Caroma brand has a wider trap than the others.

It is a stool issue, though, and Toto's trapways are 2 1/8". Caroma would be my first choice were it not for horrible reviews about poop sticking to the bowl. If no alternatives, I would rather use a plunger than a brush. Is there anything else with trapways like Champion 4 (or wider), but without the anti-microbial coating (or behaving no worse when coating is gone), and not in white? Will pressure-assist (e.g.,K-3493-0) help?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I wish you luck in your quest, but realize that you may have to make some compromises. Is there a reason that you can't take a brush to the bowl?

vkulesho

Reaction score
I wish you luck in your quest, but realize that you may have to make some compromises. Is there a reason that you can't take a brush to the bowl?

Don't want dealing with cleaning anything, really. Hence, cleaning ladies.
I have old toilets. When my relatives from Sweden asked me why I had no brush in any of my toilets I couldn't understand what they were talking about. Told them that they could always flush twice (in our area gallon of water is less than a penny). Now that I read this forum and hear pain of all the people having to deal with 1.28 Gpf toilets I understand my relatives and see the abyss before me. :(

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Pressure assisted toilets aren't magic...sometimes, they can break apart a hard stool, but not always. Some of them leave shredded bits in the bowl. They're always noisier, and that can be disturbing if it needs to be flushed in the middle of the night. When they do need maintenance, the parts are lots more expensive than a gravity flush toilet. There really isn't any 'perfect' toilet that works for everyone. There should be no reason to use an abrasive cleaner on a toilet. Simple dishwashing detergent is usually more than enough along with a brush. Long term, if you have hard water, you might need to delime bits, but scouring it is not going to get the internal parts clean, which is often what really needs to happen to restore proper operation.

vkulesho

Reaction score
Pressure assisted toilets aren't magic...sometimes, they can break apart a hard stool, but not always. Some of them leave shredded bits in the bowl. They're always noisier, and that can be disturbing if it needs to be flushed in the middle of the night. When they do need maintenance, the parts are lots more expensive than a gravity flush toilet. There really isn't any 'perfect' toilet that works for everyone. There should be no reason to use an abrasive cleaner on a toilet. Simple dishwashing detergent is usually more than enough along with a brush. Long term, if you have hard water, you might need to delime bits, but scouring it is not going to get the internal parts clean, which is often what really needs to happen to restore proper operation.
You reply from the point of view of a technician. A lot of expert advice on this site is from a point of view of a technician. This makes this website so extremely valuable, and also so extremely hard to analyze for an unsophisticated homeowner who deals with realities of everyday life.
No, it is impossible to NOT use any kind of abrasive liquid! I am not the one cleaning the toilet. I don't want to be the one! The whole fight is about not knowing how to clean the toilet and/or having to worry about it. I am willing to flush twice (or modify the tank to flush more water, if it were possible) to deal with "leftovers" from pressure assist. I am willing to pay more for parts, as long as I can replace them myself (a call to a plumber for me is worth half a toilet :)). I just want the highest odds of not doing any extra work on a daily/monthly basis.
From the link that I posted above, it looks like pressure assist on Kohler is the best chance to avoid clogging without having to brush the bowl. If it is not I have not yet received the toilet and will appreciate any advice on what gives me better odds.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't think you are going to find anything that will please you. A plunger instead of a brush? A plunger is to clear a clogged toilet, not clean the bowl. You seem to have a paranoia about using a brush for an occasional swirl to remove an infrequent streak. Or, perhaps you are so upper class that using a brush is beneath you.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
FWIW, I literally have one neighbor that can't or won't, anyways, replace a light bulb...everyone's comfort level for doing anything varies considerably. Nearly 30-years ago, the Feds made it illegal to make a new toilet that didn't meet the water use low-flow requirements. That event had many manufacturers caught short, and some of them have never really recovered, even after all that time, to making one that works well. It is impossible to get the same bowl cleaning effect using 1.6g/flush or less verses the older ones that could have used as much as 7-8 gallons, but a well-designed one can come close. To aid that, various manufacturers have come out with super smooth glazes, but to keep them working properly, you cannot use anything abrasive. They had to change the internal workings to get the flush initiated with enough force to evacuate the bowl rather than relying on the weight of 4-5x as much water. Some companies just never did get it right. While not rocket science, it does take some engineering and quality construction methods.

Toto's toilets with the 'II' designation use a better bowl wash system than the older ones, which were still better than most...but, they all come with their special glaze. You can't have your cake and eat it too. As time goes on, water is becoming a more and more precious commodity, and using double the amount may start to cost you individually, quite a bit. From a community standpoint, it's irresponsible, since the system load is based on the federal mandates, and if everyone used twice as much, things could get messy quickly.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks