Is there any way to introduce air into the Backwash cycle on my Katalox Filter?

Users who are viewing this thread

Charlie Bosco

Reaction score
I noticed that my Katalox filter occasionally needs to be hit with a dose of Chlorine during a back wash to restore its H2S eliminating capabilities.. I confirm this by regularly testing the water from a port right after the filter.

This had me thinking.. WTF does backwash really do here other than rid the system of sediment. Its using the same crappy water to clean itself that it has to filter.. But I digress..

The point of the Chlorine is to Oxidize the remaining H2S buildup in the Katalox. Oxydation is the whole idea behind the AIO on my Katalox tank. So I got to thinking, what if I were able to AERATE the backwash water. I am thinking that the introduction of the air would not only start breaking down the H2S in the water feeding the Katalox, but more importantly, increase the oxidation of any residual H2S on the Katalox media.

Maybe if I can make this happen, I wont need to use any chlorine and the whole system will be self maintaining?

Bannerman

Reaction score
WTF does backwash really do here other than rid the system of sediment.
Backwashing not only eliminates sediment but will also reclassify (redistribute) the media within the tank. Water will always follow the path of least resistance so backwashing will eliminate those least resistive pathways (channels) so to cause the water to come into contact with refreshed media.

Adding air during backwash would potentially cause the KL media to rise higher within the tank which is more likely to result in media loss to drain.

If the KL media requires the assistance of chlorine to oxidize H2S, then perhaps you may be best served by injecting chlorine prior to the KL filter ongoing whenever water is flowing. A carbon backwashing filter following the KL filter will then eliminate any residual chlorine before it proceeds further.

Assuming the existing AIO KL is substantially reducing the H2S so you are detecting only a small residual of H2S after the KL, perhaps a backwashing Catalytic Carbon filter after the KL will be sufficient to eliminate any remaining H2S without the need for chlorine.

Charlie Bosco

Reaction score
Backwashing not only eliminates sediment but will also reclassify (redistribute) the media within the tank. Water will always follow the path of least resistance so backwashing will eliminate those least resistive pathways (channels) so to cause the water to come into contact with refreshed media.

Adding air during backwash would potentially cause the KL media to rise higher within the tank which is more likely to result in media loss to drain.

If the KL media requires the assistance of chlorine to oxidize H2S, then perhaps you may be best served by injecting chlorine prior to the KL filter ongoing whenever water is flowing. A carbon backwashing filter following the KL filter will then eliminate any residual chlorine before it proceeds further.

Assuming the existing AIO KL is substantially reducing the H2S so you are detecting only a small residual of H2S after the KL, perhaps a backwashing Catalytic Carbon filter after the KL will be sufficient to eliminate any remaining H2S without the need for chlorine.
Actually I do have a backwashing catalytic carbon for the final scrub. I am just trying to be a perfectionist without the chemicals. Seems a bit of air might make a difference in the total backwash efficiency. Maybe Ditto can set up a test in his lab to see if any difference would be made. Especially since I do a nightly backwash.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
We really try to promote AIO3 designs over AIO. Air and bacteria make great friends. The addition of Ozone has improved the performance of the AIO systems significantly as it has greatly reduced the bacterial fouling of the medias. As to the backwashing using dirty water, you can add a separate source backwash that would allow you to use clean water but this can be a lot of work. The backwash water is usually rinsed out with the water going through the bed so unless the water is particularly nasty, then this is not much of an issue.

Charlie Bosco

Reaction score
We really try to promote AIO3 designs over AIO. Air and bacteria make great friends. The addition of Ozone has improved the performance of the AIO systems significantly as it has greatly reduced the bacterial fouling of the medias. As to the backwashing using dirty water, you can add a separate source backwash that would allow you to use clean water but this can be a lot of work. The backwash water is usually rinsed out with the water going through the bed so unless the water is particularly nasty, then this is not much of an issue.
So I got to thinking. Again. Lol
The Rapid Rinse is full of air once the unit gets past the air injection. Hoping longer will catalyze more ???
So I am going to play with this setting for a week.
I upped the air from 40 min to 45. And upped the Rapid Rinse from 2min to 5min. So I waste another 96 gallons of water. It's going back right where I took it from.

Charlie Bosco

Reaction score

Started researching this AIO3.. Looks like I may be able to add that to my 2510SXT AIO system with this? Or do you have another brand

New Ozotech Enhanced Oxidation Generator (masterwater.com)

Looks like Nelsen is reselling this exact unit..
Nelsen-AIO3-Ozone Lit_Literature.pdf (nelsencorp.com)

ditttohead

Reaction score
I would not recommend AIO3 with the 2510, we have not gotten a sign-off from Pentair yet to combine Ozone with this valve. It may work but...
I sent you a PM.

Charlie Bosco

Reaction score
I would not recommend AIO3 with the 2510, we have not gotten a sign-off from Pentair yet to combine Ozone with this valve. It may work but...
I sent you a PM.

I am reporting a noticeable difference in my new Katalox Settings. Since I upped the air draw from 40 to 45 minutes and increased the RR from 2 to a full 5 minutes, I don't smell much residual H2S at all from the Test port. I just sniffed a 2 gallon full open dump of test water and it was relatively clean. Before I had a light scent of H2S before heading to the Carbon Tank. Also todays test came after the Carbon Tank BW (every other night)so the carbon tank always gets the benefit of a fresh unused air pocket. I'm thinking the additional air draw is giving me a bigger pocket of air to use so I don't run low while the Carbon RR is blasting fast aerated water through the media to finish the Catalytic process.

Also stumbled on to this little gadget in your catalog.. The Micronizer
Impact Water Products - Impact Water Products 2018 Catalog - Page 148-149 (publitas.com)

Looks like this would be cheap and almost perfect setup to add the Aeration I was looking for at Backwash time.
Is this really as simple as adding it to the line between my pump and Pressure Tank? Do you put a small hose on the the draw nozzle to the outside in the event of a check valve failure?

So far I have no ill effects from the AIO that I currently have.. Would this additional air cause me issues at the faucets?

Last edited:

Water Pro

In the Trades
Reaction score
As dittohead stated, AIO is not enough to kill IRB or IOB. I would recommend ozone or HP injection (prior to the pressure tank), as they won't require you to purchase a retention tank.

ditttohead

Reaction score

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Although the link was broken earlier, it is now working for me @ 10 pm eastern.
The link Charlie posted is still bad. I assumed it to be a copy/paste error. Below is a screenshot of the text so that the forum will not change the appearance of it.
2021-03-16_21-09-27.jpg

Charlie Bosco

Reaction score
As dittohead stated, AIO is not enough to kill IRB or IOB. I would recommend ozone or HP injection (prior to the pressure tank), as they won't require you to purchase a retention tank.
My water has 0 iron.. I am only treating H2S.. I do like the Ozone treatment and that WILL be my next line of defense if needed.. However the AIO Katalox system has made a drastic difference before it goes to my Carbon. Was just thinking this would be a cheap easy addition to my setup.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks