Is there any requirement for structural support for a rough-in shower valve housing?

Users who are viewing this thread

TreeTopFlyer

Reaction score
I am in the middle of a whole house repipe. Part of the job is replacing two handle shower valves with single handle shower valves. The access through the tile and plaster is tight. We are using Moen 1920 remodel cover plates. The plumber says that there isn’t room to add any kind of support to mount onto or attach to for the Delta MultiChoice rough-in body.

Tub / Shower bathroom:
Pex water lines are coming down from above, connecting to the MultiChoice rough-in body with Sharkbite 90s. The MultiChoice rough-in body will only be attached to the wall at the remodel plate. The rough-in body will also be supported in the wall by the old copper pipe going down to the tub spout and the old copper pipe going up to the shower head.

Shower only bathroom:
Pex water lines coming down from above, connecting to the MultiChoice rough-in body with Sharkbite 90s. The MultiChoice rough-in body will only be attached to the wall at the remodel plate. The rough-in body will also be supported in the wall by the the old copper pipe going up to the shower head.

My concern and question is if this will provide adequate (and code legal) support for the MultiChoice rough-in body. Will changing valve cartridges down the road be effected by this setup?

Thank you for sharing your knowledge.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You can shove some wood between the tile wall and the copper to shore things up. I'm always able to make that work.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
If the other side of the wall is a linen closet, there may already be an access panel. If no panel yet, you could add one.

On the other hand, if the other side of the wall is the living room, that is a non-starter.

TreeTopFlyer

Reaction score
If the other side of the wall is a linen closet, there may already be an access panel. If no panel yet, you could add one.

On the other hand, if the other side of the wall is the living room, that is a non-starter.
If only… Tub / shower back to back with shower. Tile and plaster walls on both sides.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks