Is there any lubricant that will help drill snake negotiate corners in old cast iron?

Users who are viewing this thread

CanOfWorms

Reaction score
I need to snake up from the basement as the Tee off the sink is not sanitary and the snake goes up not down. (tried 10 times)
Luckily there is a boot in the basement I can open, but I can't get the snake to go around the old cast iron corners.
I tried the hand auger. Won't go up more than a few feet before it gets hung up.
I already broke one home cheapo power drill snake. I had another one in the shed that has all metal parts.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Most "good" snakes will negotiate the turns, UNLESS the pipe is so corroded that the opening is too small. Then you need a "better" snake that will break away the corrosion, which is extremely difficult to do.

CanOfWorms

Reaction score
My problem was that the snake was hit a cast iron true Tee, not a sani tee. It kept going up every time.
The other problem was the pipe I thought was dry because the drain was clogged was dry because it was a 100 vent. I saw the rubber boots and assumed that they were there because the previous owner had to open pipe to clean. I knew they were bone dry when I pulled the snake out and a couple tablespoons of rust flake came out.

Hairyhosebib

Reaction score
The only lubricant I know for this kind of work would be ELBOW GREASE. But it does not really exist. It is just a saying There is a guy in the shop at work that we are pretty certain got a serious head injury from playing hockey in his youth. He was trying to get something done that the lead plumber assigned him to do. The lead plumber told him to put some ELBOW GREASE into it and the guy asked the lead plumber where he kept it at on the repair truck. HMMMM..... maybe next to the pipe stretcher that is left of the bucket of steam. Unstopping drains can be really hard work though.

Sdunn

Reaction score
Canofworms: One of these products may help you
Cantol's ORA-SOLV PLUS contains biodegradable solvents and emulsifiers which dissolve grease and control odors. Environmentally compatible ingredients chemically combine to effectively dissolve grease, fat, oil, slime and soap scum in drains, pipes and grease traps. A natural citrus based solvent replaces masking perfumes to give a fresh orange grove aroma while dissolving greasy residues. ORA-SOLV PLUS mixes with water to give a uniform, economical solvent system. Used on a preventative maintenance schedule, ORA-SOLV PLUS helps prevent grease and slime build up in drains and pipes while controlling odours. ORA-SOLV PLUS will not harm metal pipes, generate heat or affect bacterial activity. Being biodegradable and free of typical solvents, acids and caustics found in drain treatments, ORA-SOLV PLUS may be used without fear of contaminating the environment or contributing to hazardous working conditions.

EZE-FLO attacks clogged drains without producing a back-up foul odour. The fast-acting, ready-to-use, alkaline liquid will remove obstructions due to grease, hair, vegetation, rags, paper and other organic matter. EZE-FLO is heavier than water; therefore, it flows directly to the blockage.
Pour 2 to 4 ounces of EZE-FLO into the stoppage and allow to stand for 10 to 15 minutes. EZE-FLO goes directly to the spot, penetrates the stoppage and opens the line to flow freely -while not giving off offensive fumes. Adding a little EZE-FLO to troublesome drains once or twice a week as preventive maintenance. EZE-FLO keeps drains open and free running.
The fumeless action of EZEFLO makes it ideal for use in hospitals, schools, and other sensitive environments. EZE-FLO is harmless to pipes, plumbing, vitreous china, porcelain surfaces and will not harm PVC or septic tank action. To help prevent overflows, slow drainage, use EZE-FLO regularly!

Cantols number is 1-800-387-9773 tell them Shawn Dunn referred you.

Plus they GUARANTEE there products.
Cantol guarantees its products, when used as directed, to do all it claims. Should the product fail to demonstrate our claims, theremaining material may be returned to us and no charge will be made.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks