Is there an electric water heater that does both domestic and hydronic?

Users who are viewing this thread

Thekid1

Reaction score
I have a 600sqft basement apartment in Long Island that's about 90% below ground. Basement usually stays about 55°F in the winter, and since it will be well insulated with both spray foam and regular fiberglass, I don't anticipate too much heat loss.

For A/C I plan to install a minisplit with a heat pump. I know heat pumps came a long way so I'm hoping this will be good enough for heat. But just in case, I ran a hydronic fintube loop around the apartment for a backup.

Now the question:
I want to install an electric unit for domestic hotwater, but I also want an electric unit that will heat the water for the hydronic loop as well, instead of tying into my boiler. I'm not interested in running electric fintube because I already ran the hydronic loop and it also gives me the option to convert to gas if I decide to connect to my boiler in the future.

Do they have one electric unit that will do both domestic and hydronic heat? Which do you recommend? It will be 1) Kit sink, 1) Bath sink, 1) Laundry, 1) Shower, 1) Dishwasher, and about 16ft of fintube.

Now that I'm thinking, I guess an electric boiler, right, is what I'm looking for? Idk.

Thanks.

Last edited:

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Using an electric water heater for hydronic heating and domestic hot water is doable, however, the cost to heat will be almost the same a using an electric baseboard. Installation and complexity using a water heater will greatly increase cost. Another issue that needs to be figured is can the water heater meet the heating load? Electric WH for residents are 4500 watt or 5500 watt elements.

My brother has a home in Long Grove, LI. His finished basement has two large electric baseboards and one in the bathroom. When I stay there, occasionally I turn on the heat and it works quite well and heats fast. It is a very large home and basement.

Google "using an electric water heater for heating"

This video is for a gas water heater but it shows what is needed.

Fitter30

Reaction score
Problems with using a one water heater would take a flow switch to turn the fin tube heat off (pumps & heat exchanger ) when dhw is used for priority. The other for the same amount of heat the hydronic is running two pumps that are using power. Fin tube starts really heating at 140° so a mixing valve would be needed on the dhw side. Best way is two separate w heaters.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Are your trying to seperate it from your boiler to keep a separate bill? Electric because you don't want to run gas and vent?

A combi boiler would be your best bet. Not sure about an electric one.

Thekid1

Reaction score
Are your trying to seperate it from your boiler to keep a separate bill? Electric because you don't want to run gas and vent?

A combi boiler would be your best bet. Not sure about an electric one.
Sorry, I forgot where I posted this question. I had already installed a separate meter. So yes, I am looking for tenants to have a separate bill. I would run gas, but that involves another gas meter and more work. I'm not interested in electric fintube because I don't want the hassle of tenants causing a fire. I see they sell oil or water filled ones, but they are a lot more money than regular electric fintube. Plus the hydronic fintube is already run.

So I was looking into the Combi boilers. Looks like what I need. Anyone have experience with these? I really don't see how the cost to run electric fintube can be any different than using electric to heat water and circulate it. The circulator pumps barely use anything.

But I am interested in the Combi. Just need some confirmation on if it's a decent setup.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sorry, I forgot where I posted this question. I had already installed a separate meter. So yes, I am looking for tenants to have a separate bill. I would run gas, but that involves another gas meter and more work. I'm not interested in electric fintube because I don't want the hassle of tenants causing a fire. I see they sell oil or water filled ones, but they are a lot more money than regular electric fintube. Plus the hydronic fintube is already run.

So I was looking into the Combi boilers. Looks like what I need. Anyone have experience with these? I really don't see how the cost to run electric fintube can be any different than using electric to heat water and circulate it. The circulator pumps barely use anything.

But I am interested in the Combi. Just need some confirmation on if it's a decent setup.
Yeah combi are fine.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
Water laying in those fin tubes all summer long will become pretty stagnant and probably potent
with bacteria.... then you kick on the system in the fall and the stagnant water goes back into the potable water lines

If you get a tenant sick, then you are opening yourself for a lawsuit because some crazy renters
will sue you for anything ..
If someone were ever to drink the hot water that has been sitting all summer long in those lines you
could be in for troubles... even if they brushed their teeth only .

think about it......

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks