Is there AC power to the wires behind my doorbell?

Users who are viewing this thread

Reach4

Reaction score
When people get a Ring doorbell, they may be able to power it thru the old doorbell wires. The chime probably has to be wired out of the circuit, and the transformer may need more VA than the old doorbell took. But they don't have to run new wires to the front door.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
When people get a Ring doorbell, they may be able to power it thru the old doorbell wires. The chime probably has to be wired out of the circuit, and the transformer may need more VA than the old doorbell took. But they don't have to run new wires to the front door.
ha ha read what OP said there is no chime or transformer . we been duped lol

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The doorbell transformer can be any place they decided to put it. Is there a front/rear doorbell? Does the other door's bell work? If so, there's a transformer somewhere. Have you checked for power at the chime?

With Ring doorbells, you attach a small adapter at the chime location that rectifies the power to power the unit. If I remember correctly, it came with the unit so I didn't have to buy anything extra.

Ron_Jeremy

Reaction score
I might suggest an upgrade to the Doorbell Pro and power it with the PoE adapter
Thanks for the input. I'm aware of the Pro but I'm not paying $300 USD for a doorbell and getting an ethernet cable to the doorbell location would be a nightmare. My Ubiquiti cameras are all ethernet but I'm fine with using the wifi-only (non-Pro) doorbell but will have to wait for the wifi chime to become available.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks