Is there a way to flush out a Johnson Tee?

Users who are viewing this thread

Mark Seklemian

Reaction score
I have a relatively new house (2012) in West Seattle. It can with two dishwashers both installed in a large island on either side of the sink. They are both connected to the waste line by via Johnson Tees which are 1/2 inch copper to 1/2 PEX then down into the floor and over to the outside wall. One dishwasher is not draining well and seems to get some back flow overnight as described in other posts.

I've cleaned out the DW drain lines as far as the input to the Johnson Tee connection and checked the pump for obstructions. I did the same thing on the working DW and then filled both with a gallon of water and ran the drain cycle (one at a time) into a bucket rather than into the Johnson Tee input. I wanted to compare flow and pressure. Both are about the same and I can block either one by putting my finger over the end of the hose - so not a lot of pressure.

The 1/2 inch line to the Johnson Tees is too small to snake. Is there a way to flush or blow it out? I'm contemplating making a connection from 1/2 inch ID tubing to garden hose and trying to blast them clean. The hose bib has a back flow preventer and I'm not going to leave it connected for with out being pressurized. I'd use a garden hose ball valve on the end of the hose just before the connection to the Johnson Tee input so I could easily control the flow - I could even tee in my pressure gauge to make sure I'm not going too high. There is a pressure regulator on the house inlet set to about 75-80 psi if I remember correctly.

I'd appreciate any thoughts on this approach. Thanks! I've learned a lot of other great stuff on the site already.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It's worth a try. Those lines from the dishwasher in the walls use standard 90's for water supply. A really tight bend. You might need hose pressure to clear them out again. If some of what you have is CPVC, that's even smaller than copper.

johnson_tee_2.jpg

The Johnson Tee is a Seattle thing.

Reach4

Reaction score
Untested idea: If you have something like the "1/4 inch hole in cap", get a small drain bladder. Cut the tip off. Stretch the rubber over the outdoor cap, and clamp down with a worm gear clamp. Apply pressure with a garden hose. If small is too small, they also offer medium. If you try this, take pictures.

husky-drain-snakes-82-975-111-e1_145.jpg
husky-drain-snakes-82-976-111-e1_145.jpg

Last edited:

Mark Seklemian

Reaction score
Untested idea: get a small drain bladder. Cut the tip off. Stretch the rubber over the outdoor cap, and clamp down with a worm gear clamp. Apply pressure with a garden hose. If small is too small, they also offer medium. If you try this, take pictures.

husky-drain-snakes-82-975-111-e1_145.jpg
husky-drain-snakes-82-976-111-e1_145.jpg
Thanks for the suggestion - But I'm dubious of trying it.

I'm afraid that the pressure would also be back flow toward the Dishwasher as well as toward the waste drain. I certainly don't want to drive any junk back toward the Dishwasher.

Mark Seklemian

Reaction score
It's worth a try. Those lines from the dishwasher in the walls use standard 90's for water supply. A really tight bend. You might need hose pressure to clear them out again. If some of what you have is CPVC, that's even smaller than copper.

johnson_tee_2.jpg

The Johnson Tee is a Seattle thing.

Thanks Terry,

I'll let you know if/how it works.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks