Is there a tub/shower unit good for a rental unit?

Users who are viewing this thread

Bob57

Reaction score
I have a rental unit that needs a tub/shower unit and I have read reviews on some that have problems with cracking and I hope to find a brand that is durable. Thanks

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Long-term reliability often depends on a proper install...the fiberglass and/or acrylic materials often aren't strong enough to survive long-term without stress cracking if they are not properly supported. THe key to this is to embed the thing in a mortar bed - this keeps it from flexing when someone is stepping into the thing or even just standing there. It also makes it feel much more substantial and helps to prevent movement which eventually will degrade the looks and finally, cause it to crack and leak.

Bob57

Reaction score
I understand what you are saying but I have read reviews about some tub/showers that have cracked before being used and some have cracked at the walls and I just want to make sure I buy a brand that has a good reputation for quality.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
The other thing that can compromise things (and it is very common) is that the walls/floor are not plumb/level. This will affect the fit and stress on the unit. So, some time in tweaking things some can help immensely. Some on here have reported they liked the Sterling units, but I do not have any personal experience with them.

Bob57

Reaction score
I just finished installing a Sterling unit in my own house and the unit out of the box already had cracks in 2 of 4 pieces and the boxes were not damaged. The supply house replaced them with no problem but I need something durable for a rental and I will take the time to make sure everything is plumb and level. I am a little skeptical having had this new Sterling be cracked out of the box and having read about others having problems so I hope to find a unit that will not crack. I was going to buy another of the same Sterling units for my other bath but now I will be looking for something different.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Big unwieldy boxes often don't get treated well. Course, some of that is a function of how well they're packaged in the first place, but it could have been anything from an overzealous tightening of the straps to hold it on a palet, to being dropped, or stacked higher than specified. Too bad. Hopefully, someone with more useful info can chime in with better info. Once up and on the wall, properly supported, though, most of them should be okay.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks