Is there a Quick Easy way to know if you CPVC joint bottomed out

Users who are viewing this thread

Rwbil

Reaction score
Repiping a house and some joints are in tight areas. Even though I will make rough guess 1/2" or 3/4" mark on the pipe doing a lot of joints it is very time consuming to accurate mark for every joint and after doing a lot of joints you forget to mark. Some joints don't push in easy and hard to tell after it is glued did it really bottom out or not.

So I there trick plumbers use to:

1) Mark there pipes or know that the joint properly bottomed out and

2) and good method to know you did not accidentally forget to glue up a joint such as putting a check mark after you glue up each fitting.

OLD TIMER

Reaction score
nobody marks for pvc bottoming out a joint, you just push until the pipe wont go any further.
if your using purple primer that will show on the pipe that you've glued your joint.

Rwbil

Reaction score
nobody marks for pvc bottoming out a joint, you just push until the pipe wont go any further.
if your using purple primer that will show on the pipe that you've glued your joint.

When I am in tight areas and sometimes not in tight areas the pipes don't always just easy push together and I then I am not sure did it actual bottom properly or not. Just wanted to see if there was a trick of the trade to tell.

I use the Yellow One Step glue and during pressure testing had 2 fitting blow out because I did not glue them. Yea sounds easy not to miss a fitting but yet when you dry fit a bunch of fittings to make sure everything aligns with streets and all it is easy to miss one at least for me.

OLD TIMER

Reaction score
I get it. I missed the part about it being CPVC, I have a habit of speed reading. anyway, you need to do what works for you.
just look for glue on every joint before you test with water. I've seen unglued joints hold for years without leaking. you don't want that.

ImOld

Octogenerian
Reaction score
I've probably done more CPVC joints than there are people on the earth. Never have I even thought of marking anything. I don't care what cleaner/glue you're using. Shove pipe in joint, twist a bit and you should feel it slide into place, hold 30 seconds, done. CPVC is a cut/glue as you go job. How can you miss anything? Unless, of course, you've cut a massive pile of pipe ahead of time and work the job from multiple points.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks