Is there a PVC epoxy or similar product to fit a broken flange?

Users who are viewing this thread

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
I have an inground pool with two waterfalls. One of them has a broken flange where the 1-1/2" PVC fitting attaches. The flange is part of the fixture but has cracked at the top (probably due to weight/pressure from settling paver deck above.

Replacing the waterfall fixture is not an option.

Is there a product I could use to repair the flange? Maybe an epoxy?
Pool Waterfall.JPG

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If it's a hub fitting you are going into and you need to remove the pipe glued inside, that might be able to be drilled out, sometimes with a stacking hole saw set up. The small bit on the inside to center it, and the outer bit to cut the pipe out.

How far back is the flange broken?

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
It is broken flush with the back of the waterfall housing. The flange is cracked at the top (about 9 o'clock to 3 o'clock).
I can drill out the 1-1/2 pipe, but that still leaves the repair of the flange.

EDIT: when I say "flange" I am referring to the short section of the waterfall fixture that the pipe fits into. The flange is not a separate item - it is part of the waterfall fixture. I believe "flange" may have a different meaning from I'm using, in the plumbing business.

I'll post a photo of this when I get home.

Reach4

Reaction score
I am referring to the short section of the waterfall fixture that the pipe fits into. The flange is not a separate item - it is part of the waterfall fixture.
Did you glue 1.5 inch pvc pipe right into that short section of the waterfall fixture?

If you remove the pipe with a Rambit, I would make sure the pipe I glued in there next time was not DWV pipe. You might even go with schedule 80 PVC.

Another possibility is to patch with a 1-1/2" Schedule 40 PVC Pipe Inside Connector
dsc_0199.jpg
dsc_0203_1.jpg
That would glue into the inside of a schedule 40 pvc pipe.

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
Here are a e a couple of photos taken during construction that show the Waterfall fixture, and one taken today showing the crack location.
The problem is that the pvc pipe (mine has a 45 degree coming off. Coming off the 45 is flexible PVC spa hose) goes into the flange (nipple - whatever the correct term is) on the waterfall fixture - and it is that flange that is cracked. So if I remove all the old PVC piping, I still need a way to repair the crack on the top of flange. This flange is not removable - it's part of the fixture.

That blue part/thing in the photo of the Waterfall is just a cap that fit over the flange while the waterfall is put in place, then removed for the PVC pipe connection.

I hope I am being clear.
Thanks for all your advice.
IMG_1443.JPG

Attachments

• Pool waterfall installation.JPG
    Pool waterfall installation.JPG
    89.4 KB · Views: 244
  • Pool waterfall installation2.JPG
    Pool waterfall installation2.JPG
    58 KB · Views: 261

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
Did you glue 1.5 inch pvc pipe right into that short section of the waterfall fixture?

If you remove the pipe with a Rambit, I would make sure the pipe I glued in there next time was not DWV pipe. You might even go with schedule 80 PVC.

Another possibility is to patch with a 1-1/2" Schedule 40 PVC Pipe Inside Connector
dsc_0199.jpg
dsc_0203_1.jpg
That would glue into the inside of a schedule 40 pvc pipe.

That inside connector might be the fix. I do have a Rambit

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
I spent some time this evening disassembling the fittings. The broken part is not slip fit - it is a "face to face" connection. Glued at the factory. I removed the old PVC spa hose from the 45 fitting.

So what materiel would be best to glue the flange back onto the face of the Waterfall fixture?

Attachments

• Broken Waterfall Fixture.JPG
    Broken Waterfall Fixture.JPG
    143 KB · Views: 252
  • Fitting removed.JPG
    Fitting removed.JPG
    146 KB · Views: 263
  • Waterfall Fixture fitting removed.JPG
    Waterfall Fixture fitting removed.JPG
    138 KB · Views: 261
  • Fitting 2.JPG
    Fitting 2.JPG
    108.4 KB · Views: 234

Reach4

Reaction score
I would think the Oasis people would have a good suggestion for the glue. I would be thinking an epoxy initially.

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
Call Oasis - why didn't I think if that? Good idea. If they can't/won't help - then I'll try epoxy.
Thanks

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If the material is actually pvc, pvc cement should work. PVC cement literally causes the plastic to melt, and when the solvent evaporates, the parts become one. Can't tell how dirty the flange of that part is, but that would have to be cleaned off. The PVC cleaner MIGHT work, but can't tell exactly what's on there. The PVC cement has some dissolved plastic in it that helps to fill small voids, while the solvent softens both pieces, so their surfaces can flow together.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks