Is there a proper way to route PEX through attic?

Users who are viewing this thread

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
I have PB in my house. I'm going to be repalcing it with PEX at some point in the future (either when it leaks or for re-sale purposes). I have seen the picturers/diagrams of various routing methods regarding Home-Runs and Trunk-Branch plumbing. Which ever way I go I know there will be alot of lines running parallel through the attic. BTW - My existing PB pipe is under the slab.

When the PEX is run throug the attic does it matter if it is run along the floor or if it is run about 4 feet above the floor along the verticle truss supports. I think most plumbers would run along the floor like the electrical wiring is done, if it is new construction. Since my house is built, there is insulation on the floor and it woul dbe difficult to run it that way (note that most of attic does not have a floor, just insulation between ceiling joists).

If there a code specifing how the PEX plumbing should be run? Or is it just run the most convient and/or asthetic way?
Thanks

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Pex

Usually the most convenient way, although I would suspect that fastening it to the vertical members would make it a nuisance to moving through the attic. Aesthetics and PEX do not usually occur in the same sentence.

Jastori

Reaction score
Ideally, in the attic, you would want to run the pipe as close to the ceiling as possible (below the insulation). I suppose you don't have freezing issues in FL, but if you run it above the insulation, the water in the PEX will heat up more than if it is run close to the ceiling.

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
Good points.
If I run it above the insulation I would run an insulated cold water line (the hot water line would only get hotter up there). I think I could run it parallel to the "path" I use to get from one end of the attic to the other. I saw insualted lines on the Wirsbo website.

I think i would like to have it below the insulation but it would be a huge job to take up all the insulation (i both batt and blown). So, since there are no objections - above is the plan.

Thanks for your help.

austintx

Reaction score
I have thought about this as well. My lines will be running perpendicular to the joists, so going above the insulation is about my only option. Since I will have several runs of PEX going from the manifold to the area of use, I have thought about taking some thin walled, large diameter PVC (the cheap sewer line stuff), and making a couple of cuts down the length of it to create a C shape to lay all of the lines in.

Earnie

Reaction score
I'm no expert on Pex or plumbing. Actually I'm getting questions answered in another post.

One of my concerns with the Pex under the insulation would be someone stepping on the pipe and breaking it. I've been in attics before and it's easy to miss the rafters when stepping from rafter to rafter. I know of instances where a foot missed the rafter and went through the sheet rock ceiling. That plus water pouring into a room from a broken Pex line would make for a bad day.

You might consider posting a large sign in the attic entrance warning of the hidden Pex water lines under the insulation.

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
Your both right. I could run it below the insulation in a location that is not easy to walk through so stepping on it wouldn't be an issue - but my access to that space would be tough too. Since there are no expert opinions/advice (objections was not a good word) or code requirements not to run above floor, I'm going to route above the flooring.

I was thinking of nailing up some 1/2 plywood in 10 or 12 inch strips nailed to vertical trusses. Then I would run parallel red and blue PEX neatly fastened to the plywood from one end of the attic to the other. Once I get to the bathrooms and kitchen the PEX lines would drop into the wall studs. I get very focused on aesthetics sometimes (I think a quality job should look like a quality job) but that would require a lot more time in the attic.

I think your PVC method would be easier - but it wouldn't be as pretty. But (my) comfort and speed trumps pretty.

davesnothome

DIY Member
Reaction score
Just some advice on running the pex. I have already run some in an area where its easy access....that stuff is a pain to uncoil and run neatly...its like a wrestling match sometimes. What I found easy, and usefull in confined areas, was to buy some of that cheap 3/4 grey PVC in 12ft lengths...its cheap. You can feed the 1/2 pex through it really easy....keeps it protected as well as a nice straight run. Lay your PVC and clamp it in place....then use the 90 degree elbows where it turns and runs down the walls. Then just guide the pex into the PVC and slide it in...so easy, protected, and neat.

Earnie

Reaction score
Gray schedule 40 pvc is used for electrical wiring not water.

Just to make the point, here is something I know for a fact happened.

A company was installing exterior pan and tilt video cameras at a hotel. It ran the 110v electrical wire for the P&T motors through white schedule 40 pvc which was buried in the ground.

Later, another company doing work in the same area noticed the white pvc and had hotel maintenance shut off the water to the sprinkler system, thinking the white pvc they encountered belonged to the sprinkler system. Their trencher cut through the white pvc and made a nice shower of sparking electrical wires until the breaker tripped.

Good thing no one was hurt.

davesnothome

DIY Member
Reaction score
Gray schedule 40 pvc is used for electrical wiring not water.

Just to make the point, here is something I know for a fact happened.

A company was installing exterior pan and tilt video cameras at a hotel. It ran the 110v electrical wire for the P&T motors through white schedule 40 pvc which was buried in the ground.

Later, another company doing work in the same area noticed the white pvc and had hotel maintenance shut off the water to the sprinkler system, thinking the white pvc they encountered belonged to the sprinkler system. Their trencher cut through the white pvc and made a nice shower of sparking electrical wires until the breaker tripped.

Good thing no one was hurt.[/QUOTE

I get your point...its not for water, but as a protector to run the pex through and keep it neat it works fine...and if you have to label it with a marker or something, no big deal. I did not mean run water through the pipe....I meant run the pex hose through it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks