Is there a fitting to extend hydronic radiator piping?

Users who are viewing this thread

4lane

Reaction score
Hi!

I have cast iron radiators fed by (I believe) 3/4" copper piping. Piping was put in before the floor tile was completed. After I completed the tile, the piping is now short about 1" or less. What kind of fitting would be best to close up this spacing? I'm thinking some male/female adapter that I can put between the water inlet and shut off valve but couldn't find anything that size...

Thank you!
IMG_2353.jpg

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
That would be a nipple extender, which is a male by female threaded fitting. They come in a variety of lengths.. So get a few different sizes. Black iron or brass would work in a closed loop hydronic system.

4lane

Reaction score
That would be a nipple extender, which is a male by female threaded fitting. They come in a variety of lengths.. So get a few different sizes. Black iron or brass would work in a closed loop hydronic system.
Yes, this is just what I was looking for, but I haven't found anything for 3/4", let alone different sizes. Do you have a specific source online for something like this?

Last edited:

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Looks like it may be referred to as a fitting extension.

Another way to fix it may be to cut the copper tube and extend the male adapter. If I were to try this method I would buy a spigot male adapter that solders into a fitting. So I only had to solder the 2 sides of the coupling.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Menards (not sure about some other stores) carries a coupling that is about 3 inches long and is meant to cut to whatever size you need. I've never tried one yet, but I've thought about it, lol.
Looks like it may be referred to as a fitting extension.

Another way to fix it may be to cut the copper tube and extend the male adapter. If I were to try this method I would buy a spigot male adapter that solders into a fitting. So I only had to solder the 2 sides of the coupling.

4lane

Reaction score
I did find some general brass 3/4" NPT female 3/4" NPT male adapters but they only have a working pressure of 150 psi. Will that work?

1663077328959.png

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Menards (not sure about some other stores) carries a coupling that is about 3 inches long and is meant to cut to whatever size you need. I've never tried one yet, but I've thought about it, lol.
We used the long couplings on a project that had dozens of freeze leaks. I think the couplings we bought were 12" long.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Contact a place like Supplyhouse dot com or Ferguson dot com and just ask them if they stock varying lengths. We buy them from their fire sprinkler division of ferguson.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks