Is There A Code Requirement For The Gauge of 6" Round Range Hood Duct?

Users who are viewing this thread

Molo

Reaction score
Hello,
Is there a code requirement for the gauge of 6 inch round range hood duct? Is 30 Gauge allowed by code?
Are there reasons not to use 30 gauge?

Thanks in Advance

Fitter30

Reaction score
M1505.1 General This is for texas
up.codes/viewer/texas/irc-2015/chapter/15/exhaust-systems#15

Domestic open-top broiler units shall have a metal exhaust hood, having a minimum thickness of 0.0157-inch (0.3950 mm) (No. 28 gage) with 1/4 inch (6.4 mm) clearance between the hood and the underside of combustible material or cabinets. A clearance of not less than 24 inches (610 mm) shall be maintained between the cooking surface and the combustible material or cabinet. The hood shall be not less than the width of the broiler unit, extend over the entire unit, discharge to the outdoors and be equipped with a backdraft damper or other means to control infiltration/exfiltration when not in operation. Broiler units incorporating an integral exhaust system, and listed and labeled for use without an exhaust hood, need not have an exhaust hood.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
30 sounds thin my guess would be 26 but just a guess if I was doing my own personal Id go 26 or check local code

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
UMC requires 26 Gauge on range hoods. Do NOT use 30 ga.
I'm not finding the minimum thickness listed in the UMC, but I must be missing it. I would think it would be Chapter 5 or Chapter 6.

Regardless, while California uses the UMC, New York has adopted the IMC, as well as the mechanical chapters of the IRC, so those apply to the OP.

Personally, I'd avoid 30 gauge even though it's allowed in New York state.

Cheers, Wayne

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks