Is pouring self leveling concrete going to affect the installation of the toilet sit ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Mini Me

Reaction score
I removed the old toilet and I think what is called the flange is still there.
There were tiles around it that were also removed.
Do I need to keep anything in mind when pouring self leveling concrete in that room ?
Is the thickness of the self leveling concrete going to affect the way I put back the toilet ?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I removed the old toilet and I think what is called the flange is still there.
There were tiles around it that were also removed.
Do I need to keep anything in mind when pouring self leveling concrete in that room ?
Is the thickness of the self leveling concrete going to affect the way I put back the toilet ?

A toilet flange may be high, or low, or tilted. It's a good thing we normally set those with wax that conforms.
If the flange is too low, a thick wax or two wax rings stacked.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
When dealing with height or elevation issues with a closet flange, the scenario you want to avoid is having the flange Too high above your finished floor. The wax seal needs to have somewhere to be in order to work and too high of a flange can sometimes come into contact with the toilet and squoosh out all the wax seal or cause the toilet to not make full contact with the floor and cause rocking. Its better to err on the side of the floor being slightly above the flange.

Mini Me

Reaction score
When dealing with height or elevation issues with a closet flange, the scenario you want to avoid is having the flange Too high above your finished floor. The wax seal needs to have somewhere to be in order to work and too high of a flange can sometimes come into contact with the toilet and squoosh out all the wax seal or cause the toilet to not make full contact with the floor and cause rocking. Its better to err on the side of the floor being slightly above the flange.
Yes I guess that is where adding self leveling concrete is going to take me
The flange was a little bit under the tiles before removing them but with cement and tiles it will land below the tile level..how much below is is acceptable?

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
A flange that is Flush or sitting on Top of your finished floor is Ideal. That is the height that most toilets will be able to be set with a Single wax ring. Anywhere below flush, something must be added to a single regular wax ring. Slightly lower flange installations can be done with a Jumbo Wax ring which is basically a regular wax ring with a half wax ring thickness added. I might go as far as doubling wax rings.. but anything beyond that I would use a flange extension which are concentric rings added to bring the sealing surface of the flange back up to flush-ish.

If you're close to flush then either the regular or jumbo should work.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks