Is my system oversized too much?

Users who are viewing this thread

Abikerboy

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Always been dumb with wells and plumbing, so when my system was installed I requested everything on the "bigger is better" theory! Now, Im learning a little, and have some questions. Im very anal on my home, and anything to do with it...dont care if I have to sell off myself to pay the bill. Lol! So, a recent well inspection and test, I was told that I have too much pump, and it is running off the curve. Details...well is somewhere around 220-240 deep (have to look at records to give you an exact) static level at drilling is 65 feet, average static pumping level under normal to moderate useage is 120 feet (yep, I do remember this much...part of the tests each year). Pump is a goulds 10ej10422 10 gpm, 2 wire 1 horse. NOTE...THE WELL SERVES TWO OTHER HOMES BESIDES MINE (no written agreements, they are all family, so someday the well will be for me only)!!! I was told that this pump is actually pumping at between 14 to 15 gpm, measured at a hydrant beside the well after a 30 minute free flow to drain the tanks and lines, and that this is too much pump. Was told that the pump runs under too low of a head most of the time, and that I either need a smaller pump, or a throttle valve. I do understand head, BUT I always thought that the less resistance, the lighter the load on the pump, and the less the pump works, the longer it will last~!!!! Here's the confusing part...if the pump is really oversized, then is that really such a bad thing? This pump is 14+ years old, and by estimates in my mind, has 42 years of "normal" single household duty on it pumping for 3 full houses over the last 14 years! I had posted earlier about a pressure tank/line failure which has taxed the system since december of last year, and we are saving for a replacement pump, cable, and drop pipe, and more than likely will include a cycle stop valve. Should I put the same size pump back? OR...if you were installing this system today, and thought the current pump to be too large, what would you install? Thanks guys!

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
With the 10 GPM 1 Horse power Goulds pump, at the depth and pressure you describe, you are in the "sweet spot" of the curve for that pump. When your water level is at 65', it is capable of pumping about 15 GPM. As the water level is pulled down to 120', it will still produce about 13 GPM. If the pumping level ever pulls down to 220', you need that large of a pump just to get 6 GPM to the faucets.

Since peak demand for a house is usually about 5 GPM, then you need the 15 GPM to run all three houses at the same time.

I think you have the perfect size pump for your requirements. If the pump has already lasted that long, and you have always had good pressure to all the houses, I don't see what the problem is. I would very much question the credibility of the person doing the inspection.

Mr_Pike

Reaction score
What exactly did this person mean by "this is too much pump." Is this suppose to be wearing out some part of your system? Is your motor cycling too often, therefore causing more wear? You can add a pressure tank or a cycle stop valve to fix those issues pretty inexpensively as opposed to changing a working part for no good reason.

If you have a 15 year old pump/motor, there is little you should change now to increase the life. Just ride it out. Another little tip from a guy who knows.

When the time comes that something in the hole goes bad, and the well service says that your motor has gone bad, and it needs to be replaced, and they ask "should they go ahead and replace the pump at the same time?" "Cause it may last 10 years or 10 days, and we will have to come back out again and charge you for pulling it"
Do the math quickly. What is the labor rate? how long does it take? what does a new pump cost? While it is good for a well business,(its called suggestive selling, and it is totally ethical) that people are scared to death of not having water for a few hours or even a few days, the reality is they can't guarantee that the new one they put in is going to last for 5 years, or 5 days. Some even charge for their time to pull and replace parts under warranty. Find a reputable well service, and have a backup plan for short term emergencies. An empty 55 gallon plastic drum makes an awesome mini tanker for hauling water from the neighbors.

Abikerboy

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
valveman said:
I think you have the perfect size pump for your requirements. If the pump has already lasted that long, and you have always had good pressure to all the houses, I don't see what the problem is. I would very much question the credibility of the person doing the inspection.
That was my way of thinking. If the wrong thing is in there pump wise, then why would it have lasted that long? As for credibility of the guy, no worries there. He wont be back here for me again. I just completed some work on my lines and tank, and wanted to have everything tested and checked out, and this was an unfamiliar guy, but was the only one available on a short notice. I actually got his name from a buddy Id been helping out who is also in the water well industry...my guy was too hectic and couldnt spare the time for me on a short notice. I told him about everything this morning, and it went over really great with my buddy! Thanks for the advice.

Abikerboy

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Mr_Pike said:
What exactly did this person mean by "this is too much pump." Is this suppose to be wearing out some part of your system? Is your motor cycling too often, therefore causing more wear? You can add a pressure tank or a cycle stop valve to fix those issues pretty inexpensively as opposed to changing a working part for no good reason.

If you have a 15 year old pump/motor, there is little you should change now to increase the life. Just ride it out. Another little tip from a guy who knows.

When the time comes that something in the hole goes bad, and the well service says that your motor has gone bad, and it needs to be replaced, and they ask "should they go ahead and replace the pump at the same time?" "Cause it may last 10 years or 10 days, and we will have to come back out again and charge you for pulling it"
Do the math quickly. What is the labor rate? how long does it take? what does a new pump cost? While it is good for a well business,(its called suggestive selling, and it is totally ethical) that people are scared to death of not having water for a few hours or even a few days, the reality is they can't guarantee that the new one they put in is going to last for 5 years, or 5 days. Some even charge for their time to pull and replace parts under warranty. Find a reputable well service, and have a backup plan for short term emergencies. An empty 55 gallon plastic drum makes an awesome mini tanker for hauling water from the neighbors.
Thats what I was wondering...dont know what he meant by "this is too much pump"! Lol! I do have a very reputable well guy...have been helping him out here lately, but I wanted a test done because of some work I had done on the well, and I wanted to cover all of the bases, but the guy I always use (and have been working with myself) had a backed up schedule, so he suggested the company that done the test for me, simply because I wanted it done on a rush. I also figured out a backup plan that has been tried and works very good...all of my neighbors have wells, and we have managed by running garden hose from an outdoor faucet on one property to a faucet on another property. Seems to work very well...no pun intended.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks