Is my submersible pump dead?

Users who are viewing this thread

fornarog

Reaction score
We woke up to no water this morning. I checked the circuit breakers and they were fine, re-set them anyway. Hit the lever on the side of the pressure switch and it had electricity coming to it (could tell by the spark on the contacts). We have no water running at all, either from the faucets, or into the tank.

Do i need a new pump, and if so, is this a DIY job for a reasonably handy person or should I have it done?

Thanks,

Greg

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
We woke up to no water this morning ...
Do i need a new pump, and if so, is this a DIY job for a reasonably handy person or should I have it done?

I did my own a couple of years ago, but I knew for sure that the pump was bad and I only had to deal with about 40' of drop pipe. In my case, the pump would occasionally trip the breaker rather than start, and flipping the breaker a few times could "bump it" or whatever and sometimes get it to start. Doing that got us by for a few days until I could get a new pump from the well man who had initially done our well and who also told me how to deal with the specific pitless adapter he had installed many years before.

If you know who initially did your well, you might begin by getting a copy of the record of its depth and specs ... then decide from there.

Speedbump

Reaction score
If you don't know how to troubleshoot a pump, have a Well Driller or Pump Tech at least diagnose it for you. It may be something as simple as bad wire. If it's the Pump, he can also tell you how deep it may be set and how much of a job it would be.

bob...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks