Is my partially cut exterior wall stud safe?

Users who are viewing this thread

GL77

Reaction score
Sometimes it's harder having a friend or relative do a job for you. Resentments can crop up. Is your cousin a licensed plumber or a licensed contractor?

Is there any reason you can't go down to home depot and pick up a roll of fiberglass insulation and feed it through the opening that is already there, up the wall and down the wall behind the plumbing, when he is done plumbing but before you close that wall up? At least you'd have some protection around the plumbing. I'd also do the foam pipe insulation. It's also a good idea to use expanding foam to seal around the pipes where they come through the sill plate. I mean, it will never be easier than right now with the wall open. But I've had frozen pipes before, it's no fun.

Take lots of photos so you don't forget what's in the wall and where it's located, they can come in really handy in future. Best of luck to you.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Good point about stuffing stud bay with insulation. being from warm weather But with an understanding that pipes can freeze in exterior walls I wouldnt know if its sufficent or if the house has other pipes on exterior to gauge whether its a smart move only that I would have some concern for frezzing and not sure stuffing it is good enough

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks