Is my new hot water heater defective or am I?

Users who are viewing this thread

Killacam311

Reaction score
Just bought and installed a Rheem 50 gallon electric water heater. Install went ok, everything is working, but im getting a slow seep of water out of this white cap on the top of the brand new unit... Any ideas what the issue could be? Is this new unit defective? What is the white cap? Driving me nuts...

Attachments

• 20191111_213603.jpg
    20191111_213603.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 312

Phog

Reaction score
That looks like a hole in the casing where they inject the foam insulation during manufacturing. I'm going to let one of the pros here speak to the source of the water coming out, I've not seen that except on old tanks.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If it were one of the threads, it would come out around the pipe before it could create enough pressure to come onto the top of the tank. You have a defective heater.

Killacam311

Reaction score
This leak is slow seepage when the water is turned on. I think it must be a defective heater. This sucks.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You can pull the T&P, and the hot and cold nipples and reinstall with tape.
If it still leaks, it's defective.

The flex connectors on top don't need tape.

Phog

Reaction score
You can pull the T&P, and the hot and cold nipples and reinstall with tape.
If it still leaks, it's defective.

The flex connectors on top don't need tape.

Also, since it sounds like you're a DIYer, be careful to coordinate any such troubleshooting activities with Rheem. Call and open a support ticket, let them instruct what you to do first, instead of taking your own initiative. Whenever the installer is not a licensed plumber there is always a little extra scrutiny when something goes wrong during install. This sounds like a clear defective product but just don't give them any reason to say that you caused the issue yourself.

HudsonDIY

Reaction score
Just to throw this out there. I recently went through three WH's from Home Depot all of which leaked before I got one that didn't leak. Seems the clowns in their warehouse play ping pong with them (store manager's words, not mine). I see its a Rheem and know that's the brand HD carries so by my incredible powers of deduction I'm thinking you may have bought it from HD. It may have been on a pallet that was dropped, so you could very well go back and get one from the same pallet. Talk to the store manager, the boxes are tagged with shipment dates from the HD warehouse. That way you can be sure to get one from another shipment and pallet.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The "leakage" problem has NOTHING to do with "playing ping pong" or dropping the heaters. It a a matter of factory inspections which, I believe, are not done for Home Depot items, so the buyer becomes the inspector. If there is a problem, but the buyer wants to live with it, the companies made money, otherwise the item would have to have been discarded. I have had MANY defective things which the manufacturers insist would NEVER have left their factory.

ImOld

Octogenerian
Reaction score
This always annoys me no end:mad: You purchased a DEFECTIVE product and it should be RETURNED! Do not contact Rheem. As hj has stated, you are the inspector.

I don't hesitate for one second to return anything anywhere if I find any defect. I even returned a jar of peanuts to Wally World because it had excessive salt in the jar.

Return your defective water heater.:mad:

Mliu

Reaction score
I agree with pulling the heater and returning it for a replacement IF the water is, in fact, coming up from around that plug. But before you go to all that trouble, be absolutely sure that's the source of the water. Have you dried off the top and observed the water seeping out from around that plastic plug? Are you sure no water is dripping from above the tank?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks