Is Masters the best neutralizer/softener combo on the market?

Users who are viewing this thread

Alicia Liu

Reaction score
My pH is 5.5 and apparently I have hard water as my water is turning blue. My plumber quoted me $4100 for the above unit. My house is only 1500 sq ft, 1 1/2 bath and just myself and 6yr old daughter. This unit sound exorbitant to me. Any other options?

Bannerman

Reaction score
I have taken a look at the Master Water web site. The equipment they offer is comprised of much the same equipment available to most everyone on the market. They seem to use their own treatment names but those are the same treatments offered by most everyone in the water treatment business.

Viewing the control valves offered by Master, it appears they maybe clones of other brands but may not have the same quality, life expectancy or parts availability as the high quality brands they are copying (Clack, Fleck & Autotrol).

First off, you should obtain your own comprehensive water analysis to identify the conditions which require treatment. While you know your water has a pH of 5.5, is your water 3 grains hard, 10, 30 or 100 grains? The amount of hardness will influence the size of softener required.

If your water is supplied by the town or a water company, it will have been already tested so a report should be available by only asking. If your water comes from your own private well, you are responsible for monitoring the water's safety so you will need to obtain testing through a lab. Some local universities will perform testing or you could contact your state's agricultural extension office for recommendations on a local lab to use.

Once you obtain a report, post the results here to obtain unbiased recommendations on appropriate treatment methods and equipment required.

Last edited:

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
First get a comprehensive water test and post the results here. Here are a few links to water testing I found on this site recently:

test60 from http://www.karlabs.com/watertestkit/
https://terrylove.com/forums/index.p...and-water-throughout-house.63041/#post-467293
http://www.ntllabs.com/Merchant2/me...NTL&Product_Code=9003&Category_Code=Homeowner

In any case, $4100 sounds exorbitant to me too (caveat: I am not a pro) unless you've got some really unusual water problems. I've never heard of water turning blue as a symptom of hard water, but if you've got copper plumbing, it might be a symptom of your acidic water. In that case, you'd need the acid neutralizer more than a softener. But "Don't guess - get the test."

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
The blue stains may be from a low pH in combination with copper pipes. Adding a softener may make it worse. You need to do an inorganic water test to find out exactly what is wrong so it can be corrceted. $4000 is crazy.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Funny, their brochure shows an older mineral tank that is now only made in India that I am aware of, and they also show the Vortech distributor, which is currently exclusive to the modern tanks made by Enpress. I would recommend separate tanks for your application. I have never been much of a fan of stacking calcite and softener tanks together, too many uncontrollable variables and an inability to test the water after the calcite to see what is happening make it a poor design in my opinion. Stacked tanks can be great as long as their limitations are understood.

Robert Carbone

Reaction score
$4100 is ridiculous. Coming from a guy that has been putting them in for 13 years masters or not that is a rip off. $2500 all day

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks