Is it time for a new steam boiler?

Users who are viewing this thread

Jimmy H NYC

Reaction score
I have a Bryant 235A Natural Gas fired steam boiler for my old house. The boiler probably dates to about 1985. The inside is harder to keep clean each year since there is a lot of sediment. Is it time for a new boiler? Will I notice any reduction in my gas bills?
Specs: 262500 input BTU per hour
215000 heating capacity
Water capacity about 10 gals I think.

any recommendations for the replacement boiler?

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
Steam boilers are hard to kill- you could probably limp along with this one indefinitely. Changing the boiler won't reduce the amount of sediment, which is all iron oxides that come back with the return water from the inside of the radiators and plumbing.

Steam boilers need to be sized for the radiation for the system to work properly. Any time a replacement is contemplated it's worth it to re-calculate the effective direct radiation (EDR) square footage of the entire system to avoid going too far astray on either the oversizing or undersizing.

A 30 year old steam boiler that was probably 78% AFUE on day 1 is probably still going to be over 70% today. You won't get better than 82% out of any residential steam boiler. If your current boiler is running 72% efficiency and you're spending $1800/year on gas for heating, replacing it with an 82% boiler means you'd then be spending 72/82 x $1800= $1580/year, a savings of $220/year. If you're currently spending less, your savings will be less. Unless the boiler is becoming unreliable, it's almost never worth replacing it- the money is usually better spent on tightening up the place with improved air sealing, insulation, and in some cases, better windows (or low-E storm windows). Even if the weatherization only yields the same fuel savings for the same expenditure, it provides a higher comfort factor, and has a longer lifecycle.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks