Is it stupid to install 1.28 gpf Toto in 31-year-old high rise?

Users who are viewing this thread

CharlieZ

Reaction score
We have recently purchased a unit on the 12th floor of a condo building that was built in 1991. The toilet in there seemed old - no idea of its specs but would fill up nearly to the brim when flushed (and then drain very slowly), so I'm assuming it was an old high-flow toilet. We decided to replace it before we move in - after lots of research went with the Toto Drake CST776CEG.

The toilet's getting shipped right now but I'm suddenly concerned if a 1.6gpf toilet might be a better idea given the age of the building and the high flow of the previous toilet. Again, despite all our research I still don't really understand much about this stuff, so I have no idea if this is a legitimate worry or not! We don't really want to order a new 1.6gpf tank if we can help it, but if it might pose a big issue down the road then I think I'd rather swap things out now before we get anything installed.

Am I getting worried for no reason? I did some digging but couldn't find much concrete info on whether a good 1.28 gpf toilet should be alright in an older high-rise building like ours... You all seem to know your stuff so please someone calm my anxieties, or else let me know if I should buy the 1.6gpf tank (or maybe not replace the toilet at all...?) We are in Ontario if that matters.

Thanks in advance to anyone reading this.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A high rise with vertical plumbing needs very little water to flush with.
1.28 will work very well in your situation.

It's pretty common to start replacing many of the old bowls now. I was doing change outs on condos for a ski resort. They had held off thinking that some how old stuff was better. I changed them out and they were amazed at how much better everything was.

The 1.28 TOTO is a gravity model. No scary stuff involved.

Last edited:

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
If everyone in the building would switch to low flow toilets, the return on investment would pay for itself in lower water/sewer bills typically in 3-5yrs according to one property manager I work with.

CharlieZ

Reaction score
Thank you guys! This is very good to know and puts my mind at ease. Lurking this forum has been an invaluable help to us throughout this process.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
During the greater NYC toilet change out one coop replaced 15,500 toilets

The only toilets that gave them problems were the BOMBS someone installed

By Minyvonne Burke
Complaints of injury and property damage due to exploding toilet tanks have led to millions of flushing systems being recalled, the Consumer Product Safety Commission announced.
The recall, announced Thursday, affects about 1.4 million Flushmate II 501-B pressure-assisted flushing systems sold in the U.S. from September 1996 through December 2015 for about $108 per unit. An addition 17,300 units were sold in Canada.

Flushmate said it received 1,446 reports in the U.S. and seven complaints in Canada of the systems bursting, resulting in nearly two dozen injuries including one person who reported that they needed foot surgery.
The exploding systems also resulted in property damage totaling about $710,000.
Image: Flushmate recall
Officials are recalling 1.4 million pressure-assisted flushing systems manufactured between 1996 and 2013 after nearly 1,500 of the systems burst in toilet tanks, causing about $710,000 in damage and 23 injuries.cpsc.gov
The defective systems "can burst at or near the vessel weld seam releasing stored pressure," which can lift the tank lid and shatter the tank," according to the recall statement. This can lead to possible "impact and laceration hazards to consumers and property damage."

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks