Is it possible to fill a water storage tank and pressure tank from one well pump?

Users who are viewing this thread

JeremyF559

Reaction score
My current setup is my submersible pump fills our two pressure tanks and that runs the house and irrigation together. I’m wanting to install a water storage tank to separate the irrigation portion of our system. How can I set it up so the submersible pump fills the 3k storage tank as well as our pressure tanks? Any ideas are greatly appreciated!

Reach4

Reaction score
The storage tank will be the irrigation water?
Solenoid valve controlled by both a timer and a float valve to fill the tank at 2 am? Fill the tank at high gpm.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Here is a drawing of how to do that.

LOW YIELD WELL_and storage with two PK1A one pipe.jpg

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
What you really want is a pressure sustaining valve to fill the reservoir.

Say you have a 40/60 pressure switch for your system. Install a pressure sustaining valve sat at 50 psi. It maintains 50 psi in your pressurized system. If there is additional , water flow available the pressure increases the sustaining valve let’s that additional water flow into the non pressurized reservoir, while maintaining 50 psi for the house, if the house needs the entire output of the pump, the pressures doesn’t get to 50 psi and the sustaining valve never opens to let any water into the reservoir.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
What you really want is a pressure sustaining valve to fill the reservoir.

Say you have a 40/60 pressure switch for your system. Install a pressure sustaining valve sat at 50 psi. It maintains 50 psi in your pressurized system. If there is additional , water flow available the pressure increases the sustaining valve let’s that additional water flow into the non pressurized reservoir, while maintaining 50 psi for the house, if the house needs the entire output of the pump, the pressures doesn’t get to 50 psi and the sustaining valve never opens to let any water into the reservoir.

I agree. But a lot of the time a storage tank is used because the well won't make but 5 GPM or less. The well would have some storage and can deliver more than 5 GPM for a while. But I use a solenoid valve with a flow control knob on the top and set the storage to fill at only 5 GPM, so it doesn't run the well dry. You either need to valve back the water filling the storage tank so there is enough left for the house, or use a pressure sustain valve. The pressure sustain will let the storage tank fill at as high a flow rate as possible, and will automatically choke back the storage tank fill rate when the house is using water.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks