Is it possible to crack a black iron elbow by tightening a pipe too far?

Users who are viewing this thread

Jadziedzic

Reaction score
Is it possible to apply so much turning force to a black iron pipe (tapered threads) that it would split the black iron elbow into which it threads? I'm not referring to cases where you go crazy and use 2-foot extensions on a massive pipe wrench and jump off the roof, but just regular old 10-inch pipe wrenches wielded by a guy who would never be confused with Arnold Schwarzenegger. Would the threads strip out before that happens? It's good 'ol Made in USA pipe and fittings if it matters.

Probably a silly question, but as I was tightening that gas line I got to wondering ...

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It could ONLY happen, if you were using cast iron elbows, and even then it would verge on the impossible. But, since it is a gas line, you SHOULD be using malleable fittings, which, if they did anything, they would "stretch", and, again, it is highly unlikely using a 10" wrench.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks