Is it okay for the overflow drain to be sideways?

Users who are viewing this thread

FakeGamerGirl

Reaction score
Long story short, hired plumber. Most of what he did had dire consequences. Wondering if this is going to lead to more problems or if it's okay. Thanks in advance.

20201015_175635.jpg

20201129_163501.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
PEX to the tub spout pushes water upward to the shower head while filling the tub. If he had read the instructions from Moen, he would have seen that.

If the piping for the overflow grades downhill, why not. It should work. I've done those with a 45 angled over before.

sharkbite-poly-pex-coupling-2.jpg

This Sharkbite handles the two different pipes you have. The gray side of the coupling for the gray poly and the tan side for the PEX from the valve.

sharkbite_pb_pex.jpg

I'm planning on changing a tub in a Renton mobile home for my sister soon. It does have it's complications. They tend to have some strange plumbing. I have changed the shower already in the Renton place that she rents out.

moen-tub-spout-install.jpg

Tub/Shower Position the valve body 32 inches from the floor of the tub basin. The shower arm should be placed 78 inches above the floor of the tub basin (recommended installation of the shower arm is with a flanged elbow fitting – not included – and attached to a wood brace). The tub spout is to be no less than 6 inches and no greater than 11 inches below the valve. If installing a threaded tub spout, connect to the valve with 1/2 inch pipe or 1/2 inch copper tubing with a threaded adapter. If installing a slip-fit tub spout, connect to the valve with only copper tubing – no threaded adapter is needed.

Last edited:

FakeGamerGirl

Reaction score
PEX to the tub spout pushes water upward to the shower head while filling the tub. If he had read the instructions from Moen, he would have seen that.

If the piping for the overflow grades downhill, why not. It should work. I've done those with a 45 angled over before.

sharkbite-poly-pex-coupling-2.jpg

This Sharkbite handles the two different pipes you have. The gray side of the coupling for the gray poly and the tan side for the PEX from the valve.

sharkbite_pb_pex.jpg

I'm planning on changing a tub in a Renton mobile home for my sister soon. It does have it's complications. They tend to have some strange plumbing. I have changed the shower already in the Renton place that she rents out.

moen-tub-spout-install.jpg

Tub/Shower Position the valve body 32 inches from the floor of the tub basin. The shower arm should be placed 78 inches above the floor of the tub basin (recommended installation of the shower arm is with a flanged elbow fitting – not included – and attached to a wood brace). The tub spout is to be no less than 6 inches and no greater than 11 inches below the valve. If installing a threaded tub spout, connect to the valve with 1/2 inch pipe or 1/2 inch copper tubing with a threaded adapter. If installing a slip-fit tub spout, connect to the valve with only copper tubing – no threaded adapter is needed.
My apologies, I'm not knowledgeable about all the adapters and what not-- we chose these Sharkbite adapters at your suggestion but he installed them. Are you saying they're installed correctly or incorrectly? We know he left the retainer clip out of the valve and when we tested the shower water for more than a few seconds, the handle came flying off the wall and flooded everything front and back for as long as it took us to turn off main water.
We ordered a clip and YouTubed how to put it in. We hoped that's all the problem was. He took the manuals with him so we have no idea. Is the PEX install going to make something flood again? Ugh, this is so frustrating.
We also had to swap hot and cold too because he had them on the wrong sides

Attachments

• 20201129_183604.jpg
    20201129_183604.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 134
  • 20201129_183414.jpg
    20201129_183414.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 146
  • 20201129_183440.jpg
    20201129_183440.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Question on the overflow, looks bad to me dosent appear to have grade .
Tub valve, and piping appear to be poorly strapped, tub spout I belive plumbed improperly same reasons terry gave , But just for kicks I would check manufacture of valve because I dont know if every manufacture specs the same requirement.
Lastly Fakegamegirl, The way this looks and the fact you state you had other problems. I wouldnt trust any of this work and would thouroughly test and check for leaks befor concidering closing off acess for repairs .

FakeGamerGirl

Reaction score
Sharkbites work for the hot and cold supply to the shower valve. I just mention that there are two types at the hardware stores.
One is for PEX, Copper and CPVC
The second one has one side for polybutylene with the gray marking at the end.

moen-tub-spout-instruction.jpg

https://www.moen.com/shared/docs/instruction-sheets/ins2166c.pdf

I added more pics to my previous reply. We may have another plumber come out to assess it but scared it'll be another person trying to prey on our lack of knowledge

Chucky_ott

Reaction score
I think what Terry is saying about the Sharkbite is that for the pipes you have, one side of the Sharkbite will have a grey ring on one end and a tan ring on the other. The side with the grey ring should be on the grey pipe.

FakeGamerGirl

Reaction score
ok good well there you go confirm the install was proper per thier instructions . I belive Terry showed it to be incorrectly plumbed its pretty simple to check with moen or call out your old plumber or a newone and address. kind of a hassel but I would halt work and not cover anything
We have reached out to him for the other known problems, and he called us liars and we are having to go through Thumbtack to dispute it.. so unfortunately reaching out to him won't do any good.

Edit: Just looked at digital manual page (since plumber took it with him) and what Terry shows is exactly what the manual says. It should be copper. Thank you! I have reached out to Fox Plumbing in hopes they can assess the situation and will provide Thumbtack with this information in addition to the other mistakes he made. Hopefully we can get our full refund to pay someone else to do it right!

I will say we are proud we spotted some of the things ourselves, like the handle being upside down and hot and cold on wrong sides.. still can't believe he put hot and cold incorrectly.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If the hot and cold were to the wrong side of that Moen valve, the cartridge can be turned 180 degrees to fix that.

The cartridge is marked as to which side is H and C.
It can also be removed and put in the other way and that reverses it. A real handy way to fix a simple problem.

moen-notch-down.jpg

moen-tub-shower-terrylove-04.jpg

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I might be wrong but I think you need a plumber . thumbtack moneyback? I dont know , you need to figure that out your plumber is a mess . get a new plumber

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks