Is it okay for sump discharge to drop below eventual outlet height?

Users who are viewing this thread

Jmpage2

Reaction score
Currently my sump discharge on the exterior of my house is routed through 25' of ABS down a slope to eventually discharge to the sidewalk in front of my property. There is no drain cut at the sidewalk due to it being irregularly shaped (and county owns it not me).

They are re-doing the sidewalk and have cut a drain on the opposite side of the corner. The only way I can connect the sump to this drain and still be able to use the gate on the corner of my property is to bury a section of discharge tube below the height of the drain.

If I do this will the sump still clear the line when it needs to run? I suppose there is also the realistic possibility that water draining down along the street will back up into this channel and back the system up.

Frustrating situation so I am probably stuck with what I'm already doing, but this will hasten the demise of the freshly poured sidewalk and the discharge tube running down along the corner of my property is also a bit of an eyesore.

Thanks.

Reach4

Reaction score
They are re-doing the sidewalk and have cut a drain on the opposite side of the corner.
Talk to the city engineer. They often like to be helpful.

I don't picture what you are saying. If they are replacing the sidewalk, they are probably OK with you running a drain line under the sidewalk before they pour. I did that. I also was allowed to drill into the storm drain concrete cylinder at the street.. If you can tap in a foot or two down, your slope problem disappears.

If you want a better looking water flow and cannot hook up to the storm drain, consider a French drain or a dry well. If the water cannot soak down during high flow conditions, it comes up out of the grass. But the point is usually the water will stay below ground soaking into the gravel that you put there and the surrounding dirt.

As far as your title question, I am not sure. If I did that, I would want to put in a cleanout that would let me try to clean the path with a big leaf blower, or if the leaf blower did not work, a big drain cleaner.

Jmpage2

Reaction score
Talk to the city engineer. They often like to be helpful.

I don't picture what you are saying. If they are replacing the sidewalk, they are probably OK with you running a drain line under the sidewalk before they pour. I did that. I also was allowed to drill into the storm drain concrete cylinder at the street.. If you can tap in a foot or two down, your slope problem disappears.

If you want a better looking water flow and cannot hook up to the storm drain, consider a French drain or a dry well. If the water cannot soak down during high flow conditions, it comes up out of the grass. But the point is usually the water will stay below ground soaking into the gravel that you put there and the surrounding dirt.

As far as your title question, I am not sure. If I did that, I would want to put in a cleanout that would let me try to clean the path with a big leaf blower, or if the leaf blower did not work, a big drain cleaner.

Probably would have to take pictures to fully articulate it but I think the answer provided about it freezing means I won't be able to do what I was thinking of.

I cannot run pipe under their pour because they already did the pour an at that time they put in a prefab drain. The issue is that they put the drain on the side of my property instead of on the front of the property where my drain currently runs.

Prior to extension of my sump all the way to the sidewalk I had issues with uphill neighbors over-watering in the summertime causing my sump to run constantly and I had a swamp in my front yard. Since that time more of them have started running their own sump drains to the street so it could be less of an issue now.

Jmpage2

Reaction score
One more thing. A french drain would definitely help take some of the water off the property and if I re-routed the sump discharge to an area where I could install a french drain it might somewhat alleviate what I was running into before.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks