Is it OK to Convert a threaded Brass Nipple for Slip on Tub Spout if I cut off the threads?

Users who are viewing this thread

duuuuuude

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Hoping to see if I can get some confirmation to see if my thinking about a new tub spout is ok.

I currently have a Kohler screw on tub spout that attaches with a 3/4" brass nipple.

Wife wants a more decorative spout that is 1/2" slip on and the spout says slip on over 1/2" copper wire.

I'm assuming the 3/4" brass nipple is screwed directly into the L-joint behind the wall.

I understand how screw-on and slip-on tub spouts work and know how to install. My problem is that I've never sweated on a threaded end on a copper wire, nor do I have the tools. This is a one time project so I'd rather not buy new tools/materials for this because I think I can get away with soldering altogether.

So, my question is this. Can I use a 3/4' to 1/2" bushing attached to a 1/2" brass nipple to get the piping to the proper 1/2", then cut off the 1/2" nipple's threads to make the exposed stub non-threaded (and the correct length), and slip the new spout over the brass pipe as though it was a copper pipe?

Is there a problem with of material combination if I were to use a brass nipple with a slip on spout instead of copper? I can't find anything definitive about the piping material other than seeing the standard copper for slip-on spouts or brass nipples for threaded tub spouts.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks so much!

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
That's not going to work, as 1/2" brass and 1/2" copper have different outer diameters. 0.840" vs 0.625".

Cheers, Wayne

duuuuuude

Reaction score
Ahhh!!! It's these little nuances that make plumbing so interesting! Thank you!

Copper it is! So would I be able to use a Brass 3/4 to 1/2" reducer for the joint, then thread the 1/2" copper pipe that is soldered to the 1/2" threaded copper adapter fitting?

brass-everbilt-brass-fittings-802339-c3_1000.jpg

copper-everbilt-copper-fittings-c6042hd12-64_1000.jpg

Time to practice some soldering!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks