Is it ok to blow air through pump?

Discussion in 'Tankless Water Heater Forum' started by Paleomedia, Jan 26, 2019.

1. Paleomedia

Paleomedia New Member

Hi -- I need to pressure up my radiant heat loops to 100 psi for an inspection... is it ok to blow air through the pumps with a compressor? I have two Grundfos ups15-35sfc pumps with check valves in and don't want to damage them.

Will the check valves and one way valves all hold 100 psi air?

Thanks,

Nate

2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Retired Systems engineer for defense industry.
    That amount of pressure seems way excessive. You'd need to isolate the boiler before you tried that, or you might damage some things. If it was left in the system, you'd need to remove the pressure relief valve or plug the outlet, or you'd never get it above that release point, typically 30psi. If it was a potable water system, that might be a useful test.

The bearings in those pumps typically are lubricated by the water...not sure how well they'd last with air spinning them. Now, it wouldn't be for all that long...just don't know. A call to the manufacturer of the pump might be worthwhile.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement