Is it me? Ledger/Stringer Leveling driving me bonkers!

Users who are viewing this thread

MessyMcKeebler

Reaction score
I am not sure where to start. I'm a Do it yourselfer, but sometimes wish I could have someone do it for me..lol Right now installing a Hydro Systems Sydney Soaker Tub ( NON whirlpool ) into an alcove. Having a major problem with the ledger. Used the measurements provided in the instructions, but it's an old house and of course nothing is level. Here's the problem. I finally got it "what I "think" is perfect" ( haha ) and it's not "resting" on it per se, with it's weight, but the lip is "touching" it..there's not even a quarter inch...so when you slide the tub in ( obviously pre mortar ) it just goes under perfectly.
My question is..I can't find anything on the internet about where exactly the ledger/stringer is supposed to be in relation to the lip. The measurements in the instructions actually put it away from the ledger, about a half inch..lol.. so it's not only "not" resting on it, but theres a space, which led me to just wing it..ugh
The only thing I found is a youtube video where a guy shows it and says, well there' s a 1/4 inch of space so I'm going to put a bead of silicone so there is play and it rests nicely and then I saw another post where someone says "be careful it doesn't rest heavily, ie, tub lifts up ONTO the ledger etc"...
So what exactly is the proper fit? Should it be resting, just barely resting. I'm planning on putting mortar in ( which is another nightmare, finally decided on mortar, after my "structolite" idea was shot down by several guys INCLUDING the company that MAKES structolite..lol..) Any help would be awesome. Thanks!

MessyMcKeebler

Reaction score
Oh my! lol... I can tell that 33 people have viewed this ....and nobody wants to lend a helpful bit of advice? There were three guys who seemed to be very active and involved on this site ...where are you? Hoping to hear from somebody soon! Thanks so much!

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
Well, I'm not a plumber but I read the instructions here: http://hydrosystem.com/wp-content/themes/hydro/images/tech/installation.pdf
and it seems clear to me that the tub flanges must sit on the leger boards (but not for support). Here is a copy/paste from that document (bolding of text by me)

SETTING THE TUB

a. Install the Waste & Overflow on the tub.

b. If your tub has the standard single speed pump, remove the hold-down bolts securing the pump

to the platform. If it has a variable speed pump, leave the bolts in. Variable speed pumps must

be bolted to the platform.
c. The tub must be supported evenly around the perimeter of the deck and also under the entire

bottom.

d. To set the tub, mix a stiff batch of slow-setting mortar (without gravel) and pile more than

enough on the floor to completely fill the space between the tub and the floor. It may be

necessary to construct a dam to contain the mortar. Do not use drywall compound or Plaster of

Paris.

e. Lower the tub into position. Slip the drain into the waste line as it goes down. Allow the tub to

settle into the wet mortar, squishing the excess out at the sides and ends of the tub.

f. When the deck hits the supports all around, the tub is level and at the correct height.
g. If the mortar is very deep, the tub may try to “float” in the mortar bed. Put eight to ten inches of

water in the tub to hold it down. Allow the mortar to cure overnight before draining the tub.

h. Fasten the tile flanges to the wall studs with galvanized nails or screws – pre-drill the holes for

them first. NOTE – The tile flanges are not structural and must not bear any weight. The tub

must be supported under the deck.
If your tub has a galvanized metal tile flange, run a bead of

silicone at its joint line with the deck.

Last edited:

MessyMcKeebler

Reaction score
Hey Country Bumpkin! Thanks for the reply, I actually just got off the phone with hydro systems. It was also the question about what happens after I put in the mortar, because their measurements and mine are different... My tub is the cheap base model without the whirlpool, just the soaker ..and the instructions are a little off for it, via measurments, even the guy on the phone was like, hmmm...I'm gonna call you back! Basically the tub lip is supposed to sit/ rest on the ledger, which its at, but the problem is ...using "their" measurments it's completely off, but in reality, it's resting and when I put mortar in, and tilt the tub to the left longside, where the mortar will mainly be it's level......but it's just confusing because they're saying about 2" of mortar so then it seems like the tub will be above the ledger according to the measurements they're stating ...I"m trying my best to explain my dilemma. If it were as easy as reading instructions I'd have this darn thing done already, but of course it never is..lol.. Thanks again for responding, truly appreciate you taking the time to do so!

MessyMcKeebler

Reaction score
I "think" they say put in a wet 2" mortar bed, because the tub will squish down to 1" when in place with some weight (water) in it.
Yup, that's what the guy on the phone told me... that's why it all seems off.. I am stressing so much, I feel like I just should get it done and deal with it..ugh. I'm just going to wait on the guy from Hydro ...maybe he'll have some inside info..haha. It just doesn't make sense that their "on paper" measurements differ from the measurements I have. Then again maybe once I put the mortar in if I don't squish it down enough it "won't" rest on the ledger ... so then I was thinking ok, maybe I'll make the ledger higher to match theirs, but I"ll be damned if I do and then I put the mortar in and it doesn't work..argh, I used to be a great DIY, but lately I'm fizzing out. Sorry to vent, just so frustrating. Thanks for your help, any help or advice is always appreciated!

MessyMcKeebler

Reaction score
Oh, and the guy on the phone said to me the "skirt" extends 2" past the tub, which baffles me because everything seems level and there's like a space for maybe an envelope between the floor and skirt, so not sure what's going on there, that's a twist. This shouldn't be that complicated. It could be I"m overthinking it or I'm totally off, we shall see. I'll post an update when done, or maybe halfway there, lol.. Thnx again.

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
If you can post a couple of pictures it would be easier to visualize what your dealing with.
I would not rush through this - keep thinking about it and talking about until you understand it.

My understanding (based on my own tub install) is that the ledger boards are there to provide a "leveling guide" and keep the tub in the correct position while the mortar sets up. There are a bunch of YouTube videos on this process, perhaps watch a few and get mote comfortable with the process.

MessyMcKeebler

Reaction score
If you can post a couple of pictures it would be easier to visualize what your dealing with.
I would not rush through this - keep thinking about it and talking about until you understand it.

My understanding (based on my own tub install) is that the ledger boards are there to provide a "leveling guide" and keep the tub in the correct position while the mortar sets up. There are a bunch of YouTube videos on this process, perhaps watch a few and get mote comfortable with the process.
I agree with you, that's what I've been doing for almost two days, thinking about it, not doing anything so I don't get it wrong..lol.. and talking about it, endlessly, that's why I'm so frustrated, but hopefully I'll either "get it" or "go for it"...will let you know. The youtube videos are what screwed me up because there was this one guy who installed his ledgers and there was a space and he put silicone in it like a 1/4 inch gap..and he says, oh that's for flex and once you set the tub in it will rest on it! ....and I was like what that cant' be right..it's supposed to be level or higher because of the mortar..so I watched a few others and they weren't really informative. There's more help on these verbal sites! I'm waiting for the guy from hydrosystems, hoping I'll get a response today. Then meander back and check out the skirt deal with the 2" diff, which is beyond me, because I dont see any space when the tub is level, or rather tilted level. I guess the bottom line is the mortar and how it rests. The ironic thing is, the crappy old tub I pulled out..had NO mortar and NO stringers..lol.. it was old and some kind of plastic and no fiberglass stuck all over it with no chipboard, WISH they still made that tub, it was amazing. If it wasn't so old and worn I'd have kept it! UGH!

MessyMcKeebler

Reaction score
Hey Country Bumpkin, not sure if you get notified of a new response but wanted to follow up. Ok, tub INSTALLED! Yayyyy! Ok, so went with the regular "mortar" ( after debating over structolite ), called the tub company in regards to the stringer. Problem was that I think they ordered the wrong tub, but so much time has past I didn't save the paperwork, but that's ok, I like the one I got, but the measurements were off because of that. I have the 17" one and I was supposed to have the 21" inch soaker! Anyway, that explained it away! The stringers/ledger seemed to work out perfect and the tub is level, at least 99.9 percent as far as the damn bubble center goes! Hooking up the drain tomorrow most likely. ( Tub has been sitting drying for 3 days, even though it said 24-48 hours, I figured I'd wait an extra day ) It seems really solid, so that's a good thing! So far so good! Thanks again for your help and advice, sometimes a listening ear helps worlds! Thanks again! Will post when done!

MessyMcKeebler

Reaction score
Good point - those YouTube videos can be very helpful or totally full of it. Like anything on the internet - take with a grain of salt.
haha, true, you have to take everything on youtube with a grain of salt! However, regarding the drain, nice to see a lot of people use the silicone, as opposed to plumbers putty, so that's what I'll be using, tomorrow!

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
I've only used plumber's putty.
There is another thread here about sealing a tub drain and Terry says not to use anything on the fitting. Rubber washer goes on bottom (between drain flange and tub) and nothing (except maybe some putty) under top flange.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks